Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 66 gas cap is not perfect anymore after 36 years. The pony has lost it's tail, but more importantly the rubber inside has gone, leaving me with a non sealing gas cap.

As I run on LPG, I don't use regular gas very often, but it would be nice to stop the water from entering the tank and contaminating the fuel that is in there by replacing the rubber of the cap.

I have had no success in finding someting so if anyone of you would be nice enough to provide me with a pic of exactly how this rubery piece should look, I may be able to fabricate someting myself.

So, does anyone have a pic for me?

Another thing about the gas cap. Is there a way to make it more secure? It's not lockable and I have noticed that the neighbourhood kids like to open it.....Even though they can't take it because of the attaching cable....

Thanks for any help on the matter!

·
Registered
680 Posts
National Parts Depot sells locking gas caps. Sounds like you need to check them out, before the kids give you a real suprise...

·
Registered
699 Posts
The rubber gasket thing is easily available I think.
Ive replaced my old one (Im not even sure anymore, that there actually was one), with one of these.
Should be a cheap part.

The lockable gas caps are interesting, but I think theres only one design.

I think it is really ugly compared to the original 65/66 caps.
Its basically like a original one, but in the center it has a small square shaped Pony logo that hides the lock.

Does anyone know of other lockable gas caps that are more appealing?

·
Registered
759 Posts
You might have to order a new cap from a Mustang dealer. Since you run LPG I guess you are not in the states?

As for the locking cap. You can make your original cap into a locking one with a part from Pro Parts or Scott Drake. When you install the lock you have to unlock it from inside your trunk but it is better than having that ugly locking cap or having someone go wee wee in my tank.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well, Im not in the US. But I am not the original poster, who is using LGP.
Anyway. Can I find that special part, that turns a regular cap into a locking one, somewhere on the web?

Thansk,
Nick

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, I'm from the Netherlands, Europe and over here a 66 Mustang is only viable daily transportation if it runs on LPG. Regular gas costs a fortune here and the stang has quite a liking for the stuff. As LPG is only half the price of regular gas, it makes for an easy decision to convert. It took me 7 months to break even on the investment....

You raised a very interesting point when you mentioned locking it from inside the trunk. I would appreciate any info on the parts needed and what you need to do to the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts