Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a '68 fastback I'm looking to possibly buy out of state; I'm wanting to fly out and look at the car in person before committing. The majority of the value in this car resides in the VIN as pretty much all of the original goodies are long gone. I know the dash plate and door tag VINs do match, but I want to look at both fender aprons to: (1) see if they also match; (2) if there is another car's VIN stamped there; or (3) if there is not VIN stamp at all, indicating it has had fender replacement done (I can't tell from the photos).

The car is put together, running, and driving. I am going to this guy's storage shed in his back yard on a day/overnight trip. How much needs to be disassembled to be able to see and read the VIN? Does the entire front need to come off to loosen the fenders to look? What tools should I take (1/2" socket...and?).

Not that I don't trust the guy, but for the amount of dough we're talking about, I don't want to buy a rebody or clipped car. I know floorpan and quarter work has been done in the past.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Legal vin on 68 is on the right side of dash in windshield. The vin on left apron should be visible when you open the hood. The fender is recessed in this area about 1/2 inch so vin is readable. If not sometimes you can read vin backwards from under the fender right along the fender apron. It is easier if you have a flashlight and remove tire.
Good Luck with your trip, I hope it pans out for you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
68 will also have the vin on the passenger side dash. Mine had dash vin, driver side apron vin, and vin on door data plate. It did not have a vin stamped on the passenger side apron. I could not tell if the apron had been replaced, but it had been brazed at the shock tower. Not sure whether 68's had a vin on the passenger side apron. If it is like mine you will have to loosen the fender to see the vin underneath on the driver side.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Reading the vin from underside apron, you should also use a mirror and some light... a 6"x6" mirror works.

Also taking the fender bolts off may be necessary, I know my vin numbers are hidden from view when fender is on.

Also look for stampings in aprons, to see if they have been replaced with aftermarket, if they have, your vin is not there anyway.

Use the mirror with flashlight allot less work. Hope you don't have a big head, you may have to stick it in there.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Agree with others. My San Jose coupe did not have a VIN on the passenger side fender apron. The one on the driver's side was under the outer fender, it couldn't be seen in the cut out. I think you might have to unbolt quite a bit to get it to slide back far enough to see the VIN - but I can't say for certain as I had everything off anyway.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a '68 San Jose coupe that had the VIN on dash and both front fenders stamped. The Driver's side fender was notched for the VIN, but the stamp was too far "outward" to be seen in the notch. The VINs could not been seen on the underside of the fenders. I had all the sheet metal off the front of that car, but it's been years and I can't remember how easy it was to unbolt stuff and what order to remove things.

This car is a Dearborn build.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
My 2 early 68 San Jose cars have both fenders stamped. None are visible with the fenders on....

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Visible or not visible with the front fender installed ? Depends (in 68) where the car was assemblied

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You are going to have to remove all the fender bolts visible under the hood. Also the bolts on the radiator support that hold the fender bracket. And the grille trim. Take the fender and headlight bucket loose as a unit. Don't forget the bolt by the upper door hinge and the one down low (by the rockers).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts