Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am in desperate need of some help. I have a 67 FB 390 with C8AEH heads 8 bolt pattern and need headers. I am trying to figure out which headers to go with that wont break the bank, will fit these heads in a 67, and won't scrape the ground. Trying to decide between the FPA, Doug's, or Hookers.

FPA=expensive
Hookers=heard they have clearance issues
Doug's= can't find much info.

Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am in desperate need of some help. I have a 67 FB 390 with C8AEH heads 8 bolt pattern and need headers. I am trying to figure out which headers to go with that wont break the bank, will fit these heads in a 67, and won't scrape the ground. Trying to decide between the FPA, Doug's, or Hookers.

FPA=expensive
Hookers=heard they have clearance issues
Doug's= can't find much info.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Hookers wont seal on a C8AE-H, I know people say they did it, I did too, but there is so little sealing surface due to port mismatch that they WILL fail. So trust me, those are out. I have done a TON of these. Too bad too, because they do not have any clearance issues greater than anything else. Its a good header.

The FPA is really a good deal, it hurts at first, but the FPA will edge a little more power than a Hooker 6114, can come with the right flange (BE SURE TO ASK, you do not want a CJ flange)

You can get nickel plated a little cheaper, but I dont recommend it, ceramic will keep things MUCH cooler. The collectors will sit up pretty tight to the floor.

The Dougs wont work either, they have two part numbers, the difference being a crossover design or a standard headers. From their catalog

"Will only fit 16 bolt F.E. cylinder heads with the top four
exhaust bolt holes in line. Will not seal properly on heads
with the end upper bolts lower than the center bolts
."

Consider this to be the same for both Hookers and Dougs, they both have this note in their catalog. You CAN bolt them to a 14 bolt head, but they will NOT seal because the port location in regards to the bolts are different

The only other one I have seen with the proper flanges is JBA, beautiful, but the price will make you fall over if FPA is scaring you.

You really DO NOT have a choice IMO, FPA is the only affordable game in town for a C8AE-H unless you want to change your heads to a C6AE-R, C80E-N, or Edelbrock.

I have used FPA multiple times on FE Mustangs and Fairlanes and 460 Mustangs, they are nice. Go for it, just please don't use the Hookers for those heads, I promise they are incorrect

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks My427Stang, I think I will probably go with the FPA's as I have seen good reviews. On the ceramic coating, I have read that you can't use these on a new engine "break-in". Has anyone found this to be true because I sure would like to get the ceramic but it is a new engine build.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
That's true for a motor using a flat tappet style cam. Because a flat tappet cam must be run at high rpm for a long period of time to break it in. And high rpm's for a long time like that on new headers can cook the coating before it's baked on properly from normal engine use. Roller cams don't have to be run at high rpm's to break them in, and as such don't have the issue with ruining the header finish on new headers.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Not really an issue, just be sure your timing is well advanced, and there is no worry about being too far advanced, as there is no load on it during cam break in, and you aren't revving it that high.

If you break in a cam and have the timing retarded it generates a ton of heat and can burn the ceramic. Set the timing to 18 initial and let it rip, it wont hurt a thing.

Just be sure to bring the timing back down to the proper setting before loading the engine, because you don't want it to ping under a load and let the engine idle a little after cam break in, it'll stay plenty cool.

Watch the primary pipes during cam break in, if you see any glowing at all, immediately advance the timing and it'll go away immediately

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Because a flat tappet cam must be run at high rpm for a long period of time to break it in.
Amazing Ford had the time back in the day to do all those break-ins off the line... :)

And on C8AE-H's you could also consider 428CJ exh manifolds, I am not 100% sure, but think they will bolt up, but may require a tap or two. Repros are available. Better flow than stock 390's but not "headers"....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the two center vertical bolt holes between the 8 bolt and 16 bolt patterns not interchangable? So, If buy a set of FPA headers for an 8 bolt head, I won't be able to buy a set of Edelbrocks later without having to change the headers again?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If you buy headers for a set of 390GT heads, they will NOT fit CJ or Edelbrock heads later.

The exhaust port (the hole itself) is in a different location when compared to the bolt holes.

As far as 8 bolt versus 16, that depends, its based on casting numbers. 8 bolt pickup heads, C8AE-H or D2TE-A are identical to 14 bolt heads, C6AE-R 8 bolts can use a CJ/Edel header. So it depends on casting number, you can't just count bolts and make a decision

The WILL physically bolt on, but they WILL NOT hold a gasket for long and will leak.

If you think you are going to upgrade to Edelbrock heads, which even out of the box are probably worth 30+ hp, do it now, or don't buy headers until you do. Otherwise you'll be buying two sets

BTW someone is going to tell you at some point to drill the C8AE-H in a 16 bolt pattern and all will be well. That is NOT true, the port will still be in the wrong location.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again, it's nice to get some trust worthy help. So, If I was to get the Edelbrock heads, would the recommendation for the headers be the same?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Thanks again, it's nice to get some trust worthy help. So, If I was to get the Edelbrock heads, would the recommendation for the headers be the same?
For Edel heads you need a CJ flange, so you'd need 428 CJ 16 bolt flange FPAs or Hooker 6114 Supercomps

I run Supercomps and like them, however the FPAs are nice too

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
These two pics will give you an idea how low 6114s are with a stock ride height suspension. The last one is a movie, click on it and it gives a nice look at the 6114 clearance

Again, they wont work with C8AE-H, but if you go with a different head its the worst case, the FPA will sit up a smidge higher (maybe 1/2 inch)

Movie link

1 - 12 of 12 Posts