Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you do, I was car part shopping and pulled the trigger on a 1965 GT350 Shelby Tach Pod with tach and oil temp gauge.

I bought these from Tony Branda.

Automotive lighting Hood Eyewear Rectangle Material property

On test fitment today I noticed the tach pod has a gap on the windshield/top side. Once the two screws are firm but not over tight the plastic pod raises/arches away from the dash pad.

I was hoping for a little bit of luck, someone on here has installed one and can confirm proper fitment or provide photos as to how the pod sits on the top side. Does it fit flush on the dash pad? Is the arch normal?

I've tried searching the internet and all i can find are interior shots of the pod like this

Car Vehicle Speedometer Steering part Motor vehicle

I can't seem to find images of the pod to see how the pod is placed near the top dash vents.

Help and guidance would be appreciated before I hack the dash pad up chasing fitment.

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,321 Posts
@Nailbender might be able to help. He has one in his 65 and it looks great!!

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Cloud Steering part

Chris

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,474 Posts
Bought mine from Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels... its fiberglass...fits as it should...you do have to hack a piece out of the dash pad to make it work like back in the day.🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Geetee350 I installed one and yes the thin material leads to it wanting to “pucker” on the forward edge closest to the windshield. I found that if I sandwiched a flat washer on both sides of the mounting holes and slowly tightened each of the screws at the four corners I could find a happy balance. I also added a 5th hole on the leading edge of the pod between the 2 corners closest to windshield. I barely tightened that down to relieve the buckling. I used small trim screws to make it look like it was a “factory” install. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Geetee350 I installed one and yes the thin material leads to it wanting to “pucker” on the forward edge closest to the windshield. I found that if I sandwiched a flat washer on both sides of the mounting holes and slowly tightened each of the screws at the four corners I could find a happy balance. I also added a 5th hole on the leading edge of the pod between the 2 corners closest to windshield. I barely tightened that down to relieve the buckling. I used small trim screws to make it look like it was a “factory” install. Hope that helped.
Thank you so much! I can kind of imagine what you are describing. Would it be too much to see a photo? If not too much of a bear to access the vehicle?

Great idea with the washers. Did you place those on top? I.e. bolt, washer, pod material then dash pad?
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unfortunately I’m several thousand miles away from my car right now in the “sandbox”. So no access to take pictures of what you need. For the washers I used a larger fender washer (but not so big it sticks out last material) between pad and pod then another washer under head of screw. It works two fold. The material is so thin it tends to tear if you put any stress on it at the drilled hole mounting point. This spreads out the force from the screw securing it. Kind of a rough sketch but hopefully it helps.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Writing Parallel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately I’m several thousand miles away from my car right now in the “sandbox”. So no access to take pictures of what you need. For the washers I used a larger fender washer (but not so big it sticks out last material) between pad and pod then another washer under head of screw. It works two fold. The material is so thin it tends to tear if you put any stress on it at the drilled hole mounting point. This spreads out the force from the screw securing it. Kind of a rough sketch but hopefully it helps. View attachment 811106

Wow thank you brother! I understand.

I will give this a shot and report back.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Bought mine from Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels... its fiberglass...fits as it should...you do have to hack a piece out of the dash pad to make it work like back in the day.🙂
Tell me about this gauge pod. Is it nice and firm fiberglass and not this flimsy plastic stuff that's being sold by all the others?

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,474 Posts
VERY FIRM fiberglass not plastic 😉
Paid 100.00 couple of years ago worth every penny.👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the input, here are some photos of the install attempt recently.

I searched over the internet to find something similar but nothing found. Hopefully these images will help the next person.

Unboxed and ready to go!

Aim to replace this version that came with the car

Using the back of the old pod to understand wiring

Wiring was tested and labelled, ready for install

test fitment of the pod housing

Measuring the oil temp sender probe

Old oil sump temp sender removed and hole was retapped and rethreaded with 5/8" tap to suit the brass adaptor of the new sender.

oil temp sender capillary tub passed through existing hold in the firewall to avoid drilling

Then capillary tub continued under the car along the sump with some brackets to hold it in place and away from steering components and headers

New sender now installed safely and with some copper anti seize for good measure.

Trigger warning: Hole drilled into dash pad (not into the metal underneath) and wires passed through gently one by one. Pilot holes also drilled into the dash pod tabs ready for self drilling screws on final seating and install. (Disclaimer: I was ok to drill into the dash pad as the previous dash pod wrinkled portions on the pad) If you have a new dash pad or don't want to drill you can pass the cables from under the Shelby dash pod and under the speaker grille. There will be a gap but sometimes a gap is better than customising the dash pad.

Final install and functional test video link below

Shelby Dash Pod Install with sound

If anyone has questions reach out. you can see more videos on our saved Instagram story @Geetee350

Reply Quote

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,321 Posts
Nice write up! Final pics? :)

Chris

Reactions: Geetee350
1 - 16 of 16 Posts