Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellows,
Question, can someone please provide 2-3 pictures if possible as how I can find the engine casting number of a 67 GT350 (or 67 Fastback/GT/GTA, etc) I assume they are on the same spot. I keep reading behind motor starter, I look everywhere and find nothing. Ideally if you can illustrate it, I would really appreciate this. Thanks !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, yeah I saw that pic too online but I have to remove the starter? not possible to see it otherwise?

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Possible? That depends on a lot, but the easiest way is to pull the starter. Get a bore scope and run it up there if you can't see around the starter.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You could also place your phone in the area above the starter to take a picture(s), maybe the phone will be able to focus in and take a clear picture. Of course it's done blindly so it may take a few attempts.

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
The tips above apply to a small block (289, 302, 351) engine. A '67 could also come with an FE (390) and as best as I recall the casting code is not in the same location. In fact many FE's don't have a casting code.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If it’s a 289 shouldn’t you be able to find the VIN stamping on the right side towards the front near where the ground wire attaches? Assuming you’re trying to verify numbers matching, this would be a more reliable indicator and easier to see.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
The tips above apply to a small block (289, 302, 351) engine. A '67 could also come with an FE (390) and as best as I recall the casting code is not in the same location. In fact many FE's don't have a casting code.
The gt350 could have had an fe? I've never heard that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The photo my redneck shows where the number is located. You have to be very lucky to read it with the starter installed (especially with the engine installed). What your car has and what it should have may not be the same. You'll probably have to bite the bullet and drop the starter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Depending on what kind of starter you have, not sure if it's the huge original style one or a mini starter, but if you have a couple finger widths between the starter and engine you might be able to get some tissue or tracing paper and a crayon and trace over the numbers to get it that way without having to remove it? Wax paper or parchment paper would probably work as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts