Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of swapping my 67 verts 289/ 3 speed for a 1966 289 with C-4 from my fairlane (the original 289 threw a rod bearing). I am almost complete except for a few nagging things. I noticed last night that my alternator felt extremely warm, yet I still haven't started the engine up. I disconnected the battery and went to bed. Tonite I hooked the battery posts back up and with in a minute or so the positive post started getting very warm. I disconnected again. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? I am semi competent when it comes to wiring but figured the wiring in a 67 is pretty basic and pretty much the same as my 66 fairlane. The other problem that I think is wiring related is I still can't get the starter to start. I thought I had the neutral safety switch wiring hooked up right, but since the car originally had a three speed I hooked it into the same color wires where the 3 speed had wires coming into from some sort of switch (back up light switch?)at the rear of the 3 speed tranny that now has no apparent use. :eek: I am wondering if my selonoid is stuck open or something. I really need some advice on this one. :p Thanks!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Get the alternator checked....it probably has shorted diodes just waiting to fry the car's wiring harness!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts