Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I finally decide to start reassembling suspension and I run into some problems... I am installing upper ball joints on the control arm and the boot has 2 little ridges inside it. I assume these are for grease but I don't know which way they are supposed to be lined up... toward the front and back or left and right or some other way. Also, it shows me where to put the zerks and they are threaded except the ball joint hole where they go are NOT threaded? Whats up with that?? I have heard of a zerk tool but I didnt think I needed one. Is this the solution? If so, can you tell me why I need one? Also, anyone know the torque specs for the 3 bolts that hold the upper ball joint to the control arm? Thanks very much I will be watching this like a madman for answers but now im gonna go back outside and try to make some progress. Thanks everyone.

One more thing... (haha prob more as i go too) anyone know how to get the spindle on easy bc its a PITA and it stopped moving. I'm guessing a vice but I dont have one. If i have to go borrow one I will but should I just keep smacking it with a hammer?

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bored8069 on 04/13/01 10:50 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chris, can't help you too much, but it is common for the hole for the zerk NOT to be threaded. The zerks are self tapping on most/all suspenion and steering parts.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No shop manual Chris? Get your rear over to ACM and get Mark to kook you up with one /forums/images/icons/wink.gif You are off today right? I only got a half day... On second thought, you might have to wait till tomorrow...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cant help much but im looking in my book and there is no torque spec for ball joint to control arm. werent they originally rivetted on? if thats the case then that would explain it. i just tightened mine till i felt good with it. balljoint to spindle torque is 60-90 pounds if u need that. sorry i couldnt help more.

Corpus Christi TX

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, I have a shop manual but it doesn't seem to be helping me very much so far. Yeah, I am off today. I just called Mark a couple min ago bc turns out my driver side strut rod is bad, but he doesnt have one in stock. You better be careful man, I am gonna drag you over here to help if you only have half a day!!!

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, they are working today huh? Maybe I'll swing by and pay a visit to 'em. Actually, I've got my motor up on the stand, with 1 piston in it, the rest waiting in the wings and the UPS tracker shows my package of the final missing hardware coming today so I should have everything I need to finish putting my motor together by the time I get home.

I'd love to meet you and see that car sometime though... I'm getting my coupe painted on the 10th of June so maybe we'll have to wait a little longer. It's not quite presentable yet /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Damn, I'm late for class!

John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, they are working. This weekend they are covering tax on purchases also. I will be by tomorrow to pick up a front valance mark is holding for me.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Put the bolts on TIGHT.
The zerks will thread themselves.
I'd say left to right on the boot, parallel to the spindle.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 302, C-4, 3.55 TSD.
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF.
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have a strut rod, spare, which I pulled off when going with the Total Control strut rod. This is off my 70. I"ll check which side it is (I think driver's side). I even have new bushings (PST) for the strut rods if you need them. Let me know if I can help. send me an email to my email address. I'll check back later today or Saturday. good luck. Yeah, my zerk fitting holes were not threaded. I used a wrench to turn the zerk fittings into the holes and the zerk fitting cut the threads in. (self-tapping).

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked your profile and your email adress is not listed. However, I am interested in your strut rod. I know of a place I can pick one up off of a junk car but I don't know how much he will charge me and he wont be back until Tuesday. Can you please email me and tell me what you want for it. I already have the bushings bc I bought a kit. My email adress is [email protected]. Thank you very much.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

1 - 10 of 10 Posts