Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Mustang convertible that I've owned since 1976. Over the past several years I've had the front end rebuilt including new Borgeson power steering system installed and new shocks. Also, about ten years ago I had the drive shaft balanced. I have had a vibration in the car at around 42 mph that goes away as you increase speed. I just replace all four tires and obviously had them balanced. Now the vibration is gone at 42, but starts at 70 and goes away after 72, the perfect cruising speed. I'm going back to the Discount Tire to have them rebalance and rotate the tires. Anyone have ideas on what else I should look for. Seems like the vibration is more in the steering wheel than the seat if that helps. Could this be a U-joint issue, or bad steel styled wheel (not original)? Or drive shaft? ANy comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Any play in the bearings? On all 4, grab the top of the tire, put your feet against the bottom of the tire, and rock yourself back and forth. There should be NO movement. Even if there's just a little teensy bit, the bearing is on it's way out.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out the original drum hub casting was severely out of wack. Embarrassing for the Ford motor company even in the sixties! A forum member here sent me a good hub. I adapted it to Mustang Steve 2008 GT brake Rotors and the vibration was gone. It would be helpful if we knew how long you have been fighting this vibration.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had this issue for about 10 years, but it's always been between 40-42mph. Now, with new tires it happens at 70-72mph. Going in tomorrow for a rebalance and maybe rotate. New tires have less than 600 miles on them. I did switch to power disc brake kit (front) about 6 years ago.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I lived with a horrible 72 - 75 mph imbalance for ages after completing my restoration - new tires, good original rims - everything rebuilt, new brake drums, disc conversion, U-joints, balanced driveshaft, and simply could not sort out the vibration...... so I avoided 75 mph....until.........fast forward some 15 years and it was time to replace the rear brake drums (again) and miraculously the vibration disappeared! One of the brand new brake drums I installed in my original restoration ages ago was whacked and throwing out the balance - obviously I never thought a new part would cause the problem. Check the balance on your drums......God luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had horrible luck with Discount Tire and their seeming inability to balance tires. Also, I'm suspicious of some of the tires they sell being just unable to be balanced to the level a car nut is going to notice. We used to use them for at work for our fleet and had consistent tires out of balance. Since switching to a new local tire shop, we've not had the problems. Maybe try a different shop to see what they say about the balance of your new tires.

·
Registered
21,153 Posts
I had a bad vibration on a Pinto. The bolt holes on the aluminum rims I bought were off center! The hub was fine and would balance great. Out of frustration I took a tire off a rim then bolted the rim on the rear axle and ran it on jack stand. It was like a 1/4 runout.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I've seen 1 or 2 tires that couldn't be balanced without stupid amounts of weight. The tire company
mounted up another tire (same manufacturer and item #) and the balance was easy to achieve.
They were at least Kumho's and may have been even higher in the "pecking order" like Generals,
they were not Nexen's or Nakang's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts