Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stripping the interior of my 64.5 so I can check out the floor pans, general cleaning, and dye the carpet. While removing the carpet, I noticed a long strip of vinyl running along the side, just below the sill plate. It runs from the kick panel to the back quarter panel. It was "glued" directly to the side.

I've looked through all my catalogs and I can't find it.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
The strip of vinyl you found is one of the differences between early cars and later ones. 64.5 and earlier 65 cars had this as opposed to the carpet coming all the way up to the sill on the later 65 cars. AFAIK the use of the vinyl was discontinued after Sept or Oct 64 produced cars.

If yours needs replaced you just need to buy a piece of matching vinyl. Don't forget you'll need the appropriate "shorter" carpet too.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I think I read here on VMF that the 64.5's carpet did not go UP the rockers, and it was covered with vinyl in those areas.
Maybe somewhere in time your carpet was replaced with standard replacement carpet.

EDIT: Dagnabbit John, you bet me by seconds!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I learned something new. I knew the carpet was different from the 65, but I wasn't sure exactly how.

Now I know.

You guys rock!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Danno-
Just getting ready to install mine now. If you're going to use the '64.5 carpet that stops at the rockers as the others have said you'll need the vinyl. I picked mine up at Virginia Classic Mustang, they call it simply "Vinyl Material Below Step Plate" - #ST-72. If you're going to use '65 style carpet you won't need the vinyl. I would think most all mustang parts vendors carry it, just look around the carpet section.

Greg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Greg.

I didn't check there. That's what I need. I'm definitely going with the stock carpet.

As I said before.... you guys rock!

Danno

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
:lol:
You must not have gotten your coffee into your let!

I think I read here on VMF that the 64.5's carpet did not go UP the rockers, and it was covered with vinyl in those areas.
Maybe somewhere in time your carpet was replaced with standard replacement carpet.

EDIT: Dagnabbit John, you bet me by seconds!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts