Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These were on the car when I bought it. Tire size is 215 60/15. From side wall to side wall these look to be around 8 1/2" - 9" wide with a measuring tape. I Can't tell if these are 7 or 8 inch rims and I'm looking to do a wheel swap. Any guesses what these are?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,329 Posts
The wheel width is measured between the inner edges of the flanges that the tire bead seats against so the only accurate way to measure is to remove the tire. You could probably find a very large machinist caliper, measure the distance between outer edges of the flanges and subtract about 1/2" on aluminum wheels or 1/4" on steel wheels to get an approximate wheel width. Machinist Caliper.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Take off one wheel, let all the air out.

Take it to Discount tire for free flat repair, and they will take it off the rim. Measure where the bead sits, not edge to edge.

No flat found, tip the guy $5 for checking, and have the tire remounted.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Leave the poor guys at Discount Tire alone. That job sucks plenty just as it is.
No tire removal necessary. Get yourself a rim caliper, they're cheap.
Mine is accurate to under 1/8"...... so it isn't too hard to determine what you're dealing with.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: gregb

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Those are probably 15X7

Use a couple pieces of scrap wood, a yardstick or anything about 2' long and straight. Place on each side of the tire, measure the distance between them. Record that figure.
Measure from the inner edge of the outer piece of wood to the bead of the outer side of the rim. Record. Repeat on the inside. Add those two figures together.

Subtract the sum of those two figures from your overall tire width. That should get you within a 1/4" ~ 1/2" of your rim width, so round down to the nearest whole number to account for the thickness of the wheel.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are probably 15X7

Use a couple pieces of scrap wood, a yardstick or anything about 2' long and straight. Place on each side of the tire, measure the distance between them. Record that figure.
Measure from the inner edge of the outer piece of wood to the bead of the outer side of the rim. Record. Repeat on the inside. Add those two figures together.

Subtract the sum of those two figures from your overall tire width. That should get you within a 1/4" ~ 1/2" of your rim width, so round down to the nearest whole number to account for the thickness of the wheel.
Now were talking. Great idea thanks.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok looks like they are 8" rims, which would explain why I get some rub if I take a bump and a turn too fast.

So for a different my other car with factory style disk brakes, will 15x7" rims give me an issue? I've heard that 6" is recommended up front but those seem really hard to find in styled or magnum 500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts