Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I've been trying to finally sort out the brakes on my 72 Mach 1 clone (it was a base model a previous owner converted to a fastback). I've replaced the MC and prop valve with Wilwood stuff and started to move on the rest of system. The front calipers don't appear to be mustang parts, can anyone help me identify them? The pads themselves look to be roughly 25% smaller than the replacement pads I got, and don't fit in the calipers. I mainly just want to make sure that if I get factory calipers, they'll still bolt up to the spindle, and I don't fall into this rabbit hole of extra work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this car is just full of surprises. Should I try to go more performance oriented, what are my options? Do I just start looking for 2nd or 3rd gen Camaro brake parts for upgrade?

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
The K/H 4 piston caliper brakes as used on all 64-67 Mustangs/Shelbys will bolt right on those spindles you have now.
11 19/64" rotors stopping power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The K/H 4 piston caliper brakes as used on all 64-67 Mustangs/Shelbys will bolt right on those spindles you have now.
11 19/64" rotors stopping power.
Just confirming because I hate returning stuff, but you're saying my current spindles -- that have the GM style calipers -- will also hold a 67 4-piston caliper like this one: Disc Brake Caliper Four Piston Driver Side 1967

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
Just confirming because I hate returning stuff, but you're saying my current spindles -- that have the GM style calipers -- will also hold a 67 4-piston caliper like this one: Disc Brake Caliper Four Piston Driver Side 1967
Yes, but I would suggest you order them from Dan at Chockostang. His kit will include everything you need and he can also provide tech support if you need it.

I have those brakes on my '70 Mach 1 and I really like them.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If your spindles were originally for drum brake there will be four bolt holes similar to the picture below. You will also need backing plates, brackets, etc. If your (1970-1973) car has disk spindles there will be three holes. The four-hole spindles open up a world of brake upgrades. The three-hole spindles don't.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I'm sure the original owner installed the Scarebird parts on the original drum spindles. Cougar 70 above posted a picture of the DOOA spindles.
YES--Bolt on the K/H 4 piston caliper disc brakes. Superior brakes as the Shelbys had.
Put the scarebird on craigslist---OR deposit in nearest lake, NO on second thought I might think about retrieving some money back at the local scrap iron dealer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help everyone! I'll be reaching out to Chockostang in a few weeks (need to get some pennies saved up) for hopefully some Shelby bits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts