Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 68 with what appears to be a 289, the engine has been painted and I can find no numbers for i.d..
Can someone point me to good links about Ford small blocks?
Also it appears a mild cam was installed. Any idea on how to identify what I've got short of removing it?
The engine also came with a Edelbrock intake and 4 bbl, it runs very rich but seems to run well. Not as smooth as I'd like but I'm thinking that might be the cam, although maybe some carb tuning would help.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Casted numbers under block hidden by the starter.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The casting numbes for block are down behind the starter, you have to remove it to see them. You could pull valve cover and possibly id heads. The best info for early smallblock Ford 289's and 302's is Bob Mannels book, "Mustang &Ford smallblock V8". If you get the casting numbers and post them here I am sure someone can look them.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
In 1968 for a short while Ford produced 289s from the factory using 302 blocks (i.e., they have 302 casting numbers and identifiers but are 289s). So just knowing the casting numbers is not going to tell you what you have with certainty.

The only real difference bettween a 289 and 302 is the crank and rods. Without looking at those you can't know (with certainty) what you have.

John Harvey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts