Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to trace down a short for a couple of weeks as part of my engine swap project (289 auto). I thought I found the problem last night in a couple of bare wires in th ewiring harness along the power steering pump area and one was almost completely broken in half. Fixed those, hooked up the wires to the starter relay, and the engine actually ran!! Except when I went to turn the key off nothing happened. It kept running. So I got out and pushed shut the choke and it stopped. Went upstairs to brag to SWMBO about my electrical prowess, ::came back down 10 minutes later in time to watch the top of the coil break apart and foamy gunk come spilling out. :eek: The key had been off all this time. I pulled the positive battery cable off, but now what is the problem? Do I have a bad ignition switch? Any thoughts from someone more electronically inclined than I obviously am? :p

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Ignition switch for sheeezy.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
probably ignition switch not opening coil wire when moved from "run" to "off". this keeps 6 to 8 Vs on coil (12 Vs dropped by resistor wire) and if points are closed it willheat up coil and may have damaged your points springy arm. that is why you never leave ign key in "run" to play your radio with engine off. with engine running that voltage gets open circuited when points are open and current interrupted. suggest you replace ign switch and do some measurements before attempting to restart car. wiring problem may still exist and you could lose all those parts again. PM me if you need procedure.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Same thing happened to me about 15 years ago. Fortunately, an auto parts store was within walking distance, and I had a few tools in the trunk. With the car parked by the sidewalk, I replaced the coil and solenoid, started it up and drove home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts