Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am considering a Boss 9 hood scoop on my car. The first pic is from "stangbangers.com" and I dont know who owns the car, but needless to say its nice. The second is my car. Just FYI, mine sits like the Boss 9 now, the pic here was minutes after a front end rebuild

What do you think, yes or no on the Boss 9 scoop? Thanks

http://www.stangbangers.com/69Boss429.jpg
http://members.cox.net/my427stang/Mustang/Front.jpg

·
Administrator
13,032 Posts
I kind of like that ride height of yours! LOL Anyway, I like it without the scoop.
Stan

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stan, it settled a bit, it isnt quite as low as the Boss 9, but it is lower than it was. I am seriously torn between yes and no, leaning toward no, but the nice thing is, in Vegas, it gets so darn hot, I think the car would like a little cold air, thats the real reason

Not to mention it would give me room to put my nitrous plate back on ;) but thats not a priority

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Yes, I like the scoop idea. It would be a nice restomod touch...or punch, however you want to view it. You'll want to add the front spoiler if you put the scoop on, IMO.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like the scoop, makes it look really mean. I don't how the heat affects your big block, but I have a 3-row radiator for my built 289 w/o a fan shroud and it's never over heated on me. (I live in Vegas too ::)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine doesnt overheat in any way, but the floorboards and cowl area do get very warm in traffic. Basically with an FE there is no arflow behind the shock towers and it may help a little. If nothing else it could radiate a little out when sitting at a light. Its not bad in the 90 degree heat, but in the 110+ it was a nightmare inside.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hear ya. My interior is black as well. It gets hot as a mofo. And since it's Naugahyde, I sweat like one too, lol. Especially with the A/C deleted for a small gain. But there's nothing better than hitting Las Vegas blvd. after Nellis and cruising the highway ;)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I vote no..

Flat hood cars are cool....

It seems everyone has a shaker or other scoop on their car now.

You car is real nice, black is cool (figuratively speaking).

Lower the car,... slam it down on the ground and it will look great.

I didn't notice if you have slats and spoiler but if you don't.. do the slats and leave off the spoiler.

Put some magnums on it and will look slightly understated and mean.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
i say no, the boss 9 scoop is rediculously big and ugly. It can only be justified on the bad ass car it came on. (Like a hero in a pink suit).

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Shagg, I would like to add, a Boss 9 is a wimp compared to mine. Of course a wimp worth LOTS and LOTS more money without a doubt LOL

On edit----I looked back at this post, I hope it's clear I am kidding around, I truly value everyone's opinion. --although I also offer any Boss 9 a good butt kickin too ;)

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Scoop looks too big to me. Maybe it's just the angle. What do YOU think is the main question.
Now, it's back on you. :)

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
You can't put the boss scoop on without also adding the lower valance. You might want to consider the hood pin thing too for the full look. On most cars I would say no, but if you've got the HP to back up the scoop, AND it solves a heat problem too, I say go for it. The lower valance might also help in the heat dept. If I were you I might also have "Boss 427" decals made too to look just like the Boss 429 decal! ::

Just my nickles worth.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
no scoop :p

·
Registered
630 Posts
If it were me I think I would go with the scoop, but if you do... you need the front spoiler too. Just my .02.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I vote no! Only a Boss 429 should have a Boss 429 scoop, on anything else there's no defending its crass ugliness.

I have a scoop on my car and it barely makes a difference when you're stuck in traffic. I suggest taking the time/money for a scoop and doing something that truly cools down your engine bay.

BUT ultimately, just do whatever makes you happy. It's your car!

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I think they look cool on a boss 429, AND a restomod that has enough engine to warrant it's use.
But, unless you make it into a true scoop, meaning ducting into the carb only, then it's a waste. How about also adding some louvers over the headers where there are the expanses under the hood with no bracing along the sides?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts