Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Need help picking out stock valve springs 289

4950 Views 17 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  66coupe289
Hello I’m refreshing a 289 out of a 1967 mustang fastback for a friend of the family’s. Oppon disassembling the heads I found one of the original valve springs was broken. There’s two different types of valve springs available one says “ after L-10 to L-14” and the other says “after L-14 change” I honestly have no clue what this means and I need help picking out the right springs for the engine I’m working on.
1 - 6 of 18 Posts
I have the original tag that was attached to the intake, I’ll take a picture of it tomorrow, thanks guys
I planned on replacing all the valve springs with stock replacements, this is the tag that was on the intake. The bottom end bearings were stamped 1966 and I’m sure the engine has never been apart before. It has 38k miles and has been in a barn since 1980
  • Like
Reactions: 1
The number on the tag are
289 c 67 14
7 a 236-a
Hopefully this helps determine what valve springs I need to order
Thanks guys !!!
7 A means engine built January 1967. See my post above for the rest of the info. Basically change level 14.
Thanks !!! Just to be clear I need to get the springs that say “after L 14 change” correct ?
1 - 6 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.