Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son wants to replace his G-core radiator (damaged in car accident) with an aluminum radiator. He lives in Phoenix and although the G-core cooled better than a standard 3-row radiator, he'd like to step up to an aluminum one for better cooling, if possible - price is a major consideration. Summit has Griffin radiators, but they all look too big. Does anyone know if the small Aluminum Griffin radiator (part #GRI-1-26182-X, it measures 22 X 19) will just bolt in without any modifications. In the alternative, will a standard type 4-row radiator cool any better than a G-core (from Sacramento Mustang)? He's ready to order now, so if anyone can answer right away, I'd sure appreciate it. Oh, I forgot to mention - it's a 66 Mustang.

Thanks,

dave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I ran a G-core for a while in my '66. Personally, I wasn't all that impressed with it, and biggest difference I could find between it and a regular 3 core was the price tag.

Most of the aluminum ones you find (particularly at Summit) will be a cross flow (tanks on the sides). This poses a big problem for the pre '70 cars with the water pump inlet on the passenger side of the car. The Griffin one made for the Mustangs is a great replacement, but has a matching price tag. I think AFCO is now making a much cheaper version of the same radiator.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, I found AFCO and looked under Street Performance Radiators. They were about $550. Do you think a standard 4-row would give him any better cooling than the G-core.

Thanks,

dave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
In all likelihood, that Griffin is a cross flow and too wide for a stock '66 (to go wider you have to relocate the battery tray, ala '69 style where the battery turns 90 degrees).

Yes, I think a 4 row will cool better than a G-core. My son got the G-core when we built his '65. We pulled my entire drive train and stuck it in his car along with the G-core radiator. I then bought a 3 row radiator from Autozone for about 1/2 the price of a G-core when we put the new drive train and radiator into my '66 and I couldn't tell any difference in cooling between the old G-core and the new 3 row. The G-core, IMHO, is snake oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnpro - thanks very much. I think I'll advise him to get the 4-row from Sacramento Mustang, and also get the bigger radiator shroud. He has the small radiator shroud on it now. Thanks very much. I appreciate the help.

dave

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Speedway Motors has a very affordable radiator that some have given good reports on. You may need to call them to determine the size and inlet/outlet configuration for Andy's car.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If you guys will give me a couple of days to get to posting the pictures I'll show you how I just (today) installed the Speedway 26" aluminum crossflow ($159) with "Chevy" outlet configuration in the 66'

It was EASY,... and looks good to. I haven't driven it yet..

regards,

Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts