Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my car running tonight after swapping in 289 with a C4 from my fairlane. Checked all fluids, put it in reverse, backed out and went for a short run down the block. Put it in reverse again to come back up the street. Pulled in to the garage, found a plug wire loose, backed out again for one more trial run. When I got to the point where I back into a drive to go back to my house, there was no reverse. I tried everything I could think of but could not get the reverse to engage. It sounds like it is engaging, but then nothing. If my reverse band were to fail, wouldn't it be a little more gradual? this was just all of a sudden. All other positions work fine. I am extremely frustrated at this point as I have spent most of the summer trying to find the time to swap the motors, and now the tranny is shot? When it was in my fairlane I just had the tranny completely rebuilt about two years ago, and haven't put more than 500 miles on it since the rebuild, so I was planning on this being a nice clean swap. ARRRGGGHHHH!!! ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Do you have 1st gear, or is it starting off in second? If it's starting out in 2nd, you most likely have a broken low/reverse band (1st and reverse share a band). Unfortunately, the low/reverse band is not included in rebuild kits for some stupid reason, so it is often not replaced during a rebuild. If the band wore out, yes it would be gradual, if it broke, it will be all of a sudden. On the C4 that used to be in my son's '65 (and in my '66 before that), the piece that the low/reverse servo pushes on snapped off. He had reverse and 1st one second, and NOTHING the next second.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have first gear but I do have aproblem in that it is not shifting into 3d at highway speed. I am calmer this am so I am going to pull the pan and see if there are any obvious problems.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Another possibility is tha the adjustment bolts weren't tight enough and the band just slipped off. I had this happen one time on a C-4. Put it back on and adjusted it and it worked fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts