Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how or if i can run my pro billit distributor without the 6a box? The person helping set things up wants to set the timing without the box.

He says its running at 30* btdc at idle and that the box has the timing all over the place.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Does anyone know how or if i can run my pro billit distributor without the 6a box? The person helping set things up wants to set the timing without the box.

He says its running at 30* btdc at idle and that the box has the timing all over the place.
I believe some can, some can't. What model Pro Billet Distributor?

Do you still have the original instructions? A hit of the MSD website will likely help...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the 8577. For some reason it will only wants to start at 30* or so. Then the timing jumps around

·
Registered
594 Posts

Looking at summits website, says PN 8577 requires the use of an external ignition box, like the 6, 7, 8, or 10 series ignition box.

Not sure how you’re getting the car to run without the box, but I highly recommend you hook it up to an MSD ignition box and set your timing from there.

FYI, I have a 6AL ignition box with the PN 8598 dizzy (same as yours, but with a wide cap).

If checking timing with a light, and it’s all over the place, make sure the wires from the dizzy to the box are correct (I shortened those wires, and accidentally swirched them around. Timing was super erratic)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
If checking timing with a light, and it’s all over the place, make sure the wires from the dizzy to the box are correct (I shortened those wires, and accidentally swirched them around. Timing was super erratic)

Hope this helps.
Yup, when the trigger wires are backwards they run strangely if they run at all......

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Also, some timing lights do not like the multi-spark and get all screwed up by it. My $400 Snap On digital timing light is useless on an MSD equipped car, the timing jumps all over the place. Have to drag out the old school Craftsman.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Yes, the multi-spark can be a problem with some timing lights. I believe you need an analog timing light, (AKA Old school), as suggested.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. It ran well when we pulled it out if the foxbody. I was hoping to just drop it in and go. But i guess thats too mich to ask for.

Should i seg it where it runs the strongest and figure it out once i can take it off the stands and drive it

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nope. It ran well when we pulled it out if the foxbody. I was hoping to just drop it in and go. But i guess thats too mich to ask for.

Should i seg it where it runs the strongest and figure it out once i can take it off the stands and drive it
Hmm... fascinating. Get the ignition box set up with the dizzy, and probably verify the pointer if you think that it could have been disturbed whe plucked from the donor car into yours. Verify all that you can, one by one. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but when things stop working correctly, especially when it previously was, it helps to go through all the obvious stuff again.

Just seems really odd thay it *only* idles at 30 degrees.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The MSD 6A won't alter the timing unless it has somehow lost its brain if it even has a brain. I also got the 6A because at the time I was shopping around(years ago) the rev limiter was not working exactly on the money with the plug in chip so I skipped it. I would probably have wound up not using the limiter anyway.

The timing is run by the pro billet distributor which uses centrifugal weights and springs. Total timing can be altered with one of a series of colored donuts of different sizes. If you have a broken spring or a spring that has disconnected itself from the weight post or something else inside there that has gone wrong that will make the timing act wonky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts