Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My boys and I just dropped off our Mustang at the painter this past weekend. It was a super exciting step for us. This car was a driver when we bought it 16 months ago and we completely disassembled it, cleaned it up, and finally dropped it off. It's been quite a journey. I've been through countless wire wheels, DA sand pads, Simple Green, Aceton, TONS of rags, and the list goes on. I know many here can relate. Here are some pics of how it started, and how it looked this past weekend when we finally transported it. Obviously, there's a few hundred pics I'm leaving out ;)

For those wondering, it's a San Jose car with almost zero rust... there were two quarter size holes in the passenger rear wheel well, and that was it. Even the cowl was rock solid. The car had been sitting in a garage for 30 years and the PO finally decided to finally restore it. But it was too big a task for him and he sold it after 12 months. But not before he put a brand new Blueprint Engines 230hp 302 crate motor in it so he could drive it around while working on it. There are less than 500 miles on the new motor. I'm planning to do an H/C/I upgrade to it and looking for about 330-350hp. Date stamp on the block reveal it's a '87 roller block. Also ditched the C4 for a WR toploader. The car has cleaned up amazingly well. I'm frequently blown away at just how good a shape this 52 year old car is in. The biggest surprise was the undercarriage... it was covered with grease, grime and dirt. A quick hit with a power washer showed that most of it would come off. Next came the rented big boy power washer and a hudson sprayer full of Simple Green. That and about 2 months of laying on my back scrubbing and cleaning, brought the undercarriage back to it original glory. Here's a quick vid after the clean up: Undercarriage. Yes, that's the original epoxy primer!

Okay, back on point. Where I need help is picking the color. We want a dark blue. Challenge is that many midnight or dark blue colors can look purple in the sunlight. We definitely don't want that! The very last picture below is what we're shooting for. Yes, I know it's artwork and not a real picture, but it's the type of blue we're looking for. I'm not married to a ford color either. In fact, I like the current blue on the Tesla's but I'm concerned it a little too light. Curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Nightmist Blue or Presidential Blue !!!

Reactions: mustang1969

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just went through this on my 65. I don’t care for Nightmist (although it is admittedly very popular and I am an outsider with that view), and since I wanted to stay period-correct it was between Caspian (‘65) and Presidential (‘68). Maybe these pics will help you.
Caspian:

Presidential:

Presidential on left, Caspian on right:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nightmist Blue or Presidential Blue !!!
I am seriously considering Nightmist and Caspian. But my research right here on the forum tells that Nightmist does have a purple look in the sun. I guess each person does have a different eye. Presidental is one I'll look into further. Pics on Google make it seem like it doesn't have much punch. But I also get that it's hard to judge color only on pictures.
Difference between caspian and nightmist blue.

Acapulco Blue.
Yeah, that's pretty nice. I'll dig further on that one too!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went through this on my 65. I don’t care for Nightmist (although it is admittedly very popular and I am an outsider with that view), and since I wanted to stay period-correct it was between Caspian (‘65) and Presidential (‘68). Maybe these pics will help you.
Caspian:
View attachment 763389
Presidential:
View attachment 763390
Presidential on left, Caspian on right:
View attachment 763391
That helps a ton. Those are really good colors. Based on pics I've seen online, I would have guessed Caspian to be darker. PM Sent.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I went Nightmist Blue on my 66. No purple in the Florida sun. Get lots of compliments on the color.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I saw a very nice dark blue on a Porsche Macan the other day. Looks a lot like your picture.
Here is a link I

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dig up Caspian Blue from '65.
Ditzler 12752. (Called Nocturne Blue on the Lincolns)
maxresdefault.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
(y)
Maybe it's just my eyes, but this has a purple hue to it. Am I the only one seeing it? :)

Dig up Caspian Blue from '65.
Ditzler 12752. (Called Nocturne Blue on the Lincolns)
View attachment 763413
I really do like the Caspian, and I've seen this video and the Revology video. Caspian is a strong candidate.

My buddy has a 2014 MBC GL430 that is a beautiful midnight blue. Similar to the Porsche above. (y)

Thank you for the ideas. Please keep them coming.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Hey Jeff, haven't we talked before? This color really changes depending on lighting. It's basically Nightmist Blue with a measure each of yellow and black added iirc. What I was after was a color like the Pacific Ocean just before the sun goes down. The US Navy has (or had) an airplane camouflage color called Dark Sea Blue (flat) that I thought would be great in gloss bc/cc. There's a Testors Modeling Paint that color you could get from a hobby store, spray out, and then clear coat gloss. I once ordered (for dealer stock) a Porsche 996 that color ($2k extra for the special paint) and it was gorgeous. I almost went that way again, but in the end decided I wanted a metallic of that color instead so the painter and I doctored a color very similar to Nightmist Blue to have a greenish tint. Adding yellow did that, and the black darkened it. This color makes women of high fashion and taste swoon. Okay, seriously though, the comments I hear most often from females right off the bat are "I love the color!" and "Your car is beautiful!". From guys it's often "What color is that?" (right after asking what year it is and what's under the hood.) :)

The Pacific on a clear day late afternoon:

This pic somehow by accident just happened to catch the metallic just right on the tail light panel:

In the shade on a sunny day:

Cloudy overcast day:

Whatever color you go with best wishes for a good job of it! (y)

·
Registered
118 Posts
This my Blue in sunlight.....I belive its Kona BLue if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's mine, it's late 80's early 90's Twilight Blue dodge truck color. At the time ford blues were too purple, and gm's were too green.

·
Registered
940 Posts
my favorite is a oem ford color called sonic blue pearl. real bright dark blue that looks dark purple in the shade... gotta love all that pearl ! I painted a foxbody with that color back in early 2000's. also added a bunch of metal flake in it. people thought it was a color changing like that mystic paint... nope just lots of pearl playing tricks on people lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts