Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I don’t think my original fan clutch is working correctly and the majority of the oil has leaked out. Probably a good chance since the car has sat in a garage since the late 70’s prior to my purchase purchase last May.
I was hoping to disassemble it, give it a clean and add some new silicone oil but I can’t work out how to get the clutch apart. I’m guessing the front plate is pressed in and I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I don’t damage it.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers Geoff
D3A63408-14B8-42B4-862B-4049CBA6EFED.jpeg

·
Registered
35,927 Posts
I think you're SOL if you want to try and rebuild it yourself. Unless there are screws retaining the halves and you can split it on the seam with a putty knife I think a replacement is in your future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're SOL if you want to try and rebuild it yourself. Unless there are screws retaining the halves and you can split it on the seam with a putty knife I think a replacement is in your future.
Thanks for the reply mate. I’ve seen photos of ones with screws but not this one. Oh, well.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Direct replacement is probably the Hayden 2710. Regardless, that original clutch is in such nice shape it's probably worth a bit to someone doing a concourse trailered restoration.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
I'm hoping someone will go into that business again. There was a guy in Florida (I think) who could rebuild fan clutches like new, but he died and nobody seems to know how it's done. Get the Hayden, and carefully pack the OEM clutch, or sell it to a concours type.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you are looking for a very accurate reproduction, check with Chris Brown [email protected]

He had a few models available, not sure about the C6OE-G though

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just asking: is it possible drill a small hole in it to fill it, then seal it closed with some epoxy once filled? I'm talking 1/8" (3mm) diameter hole with a syringe, nothing huge.

Just thinkin'...

·
Registered
72 Posts
It sounds like you probably have a stock radiator so this information may not be useful to you. I'm replacing the timing chain cover on my 302 right now and decided to ditch the Flex fan. If you decide to go with a thicker radiator Hayden also makes a low profile clutch fan.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
I have three of the C6OE-G clutches and fans for my cars. They're still available on ebay from time to time. Sometimes they command a high price because they were also OE on some Shelbys, but a deal can be had if you spend the time to look more than one way. I believe the silicone oil can be refilled with a U-100 insulin syringe inserted into the seal, and a dime-sized daub of silicone spread evenly over the entire seal surface would cap it. A drop of brake fluid allowed to soak on the seal's surface where it meets the shaft will actually soak in and likely swell it if necessary.

Reactions: 66#3
1 - 9 of 9 Posts