Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AC in my wife's Escape isn't working. Since I'm not home during the week I had her take it to a local shop we use. I know the owner pretty well, he's a good guy. Initially they thought it was a bad compressor. They had found the wiring for the clutch had been nicked somehow. They fixed it and everything was working again. After my wife had it back for a few days it stopped working all of a sudden. Some times it works sometimes it doesn't. She brought it back to the shop and Kieth the owner said he drove the car for 20 miles, no issues with the AC, blowing cold.

So this morning we take her car so I can check it. Starts off working great, then stops. When we got to our destination about 10 miles away I open the hood and check the compressor, not running and it hasn't run for the rest of the morning. I'm suspecting a electrical problem. I swapped out the clutch relay with another, nothing. I pulled off the connector for the low pressure switch and noticed the fans came on. Connector back on, fans off. Compressor never came on. There is a possibility the clutch is bad but I don't feel it is. My hunch is the compressor not coming on is related to engine or coolant temperature. The only time the AC worked was the first time we started and the engine was cold. I believe when the engine gets up to normal temps is when the AC stops working. I asked my wife the conditions were when the AC worked, she said when she first used the car each day. Any ideas since I'm not familiar with auto AC operational conditions?

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Coolant temperature control switch ? Thermostatic fan control switch?

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Jumper the clutch direct to the battery when the engine is cold and hot and see if the clutch will engage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts