Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I am trying to keep my fastback close to original, I spent the extra bucks and bought the 14.95 leather wiper seals rather then the 3.00 rubber ones. The trouble is one seal is almost twice as thick as the other. Is this correct? (or another case of Scott Drake quality?) If so, which side gets the thicker seal? I measured them and one is .195 thick, the other is .110 thick. I called Drake and was told "the guy to talk to isn't here" please leave a message. I left a message, but I would like to get the wiper assembly installed tonight, and move on to the pedal assembly. Can anybody help?
Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Interesting. Why didn't you call the place you bought it from? If they work on Mustangs, like Glazier/Nolan, they'd answer your question.

Frankly, though, I'd be tempted just to sand down the thick one. It sounds really thick to me, and I've worked with original leather seals.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Why do these cars have these seals anyway? It looks like water would just join the other water in the cowl and drain out. My 69 didn't have them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Why didn't you call the place you bought it from? If they work on Mustangs, like Glazier/Nolan, they'd answer your question.

Frankly, though, I'd be tempted just to sand down the thick one. It sounds really thick to me, and I've worked with original leather seals.
I bought them from Mustangs Unlimited, waited two weeks for them, and just figured I would call the maker.
I started buying from Glazier back around 1976, but since Fred sold the place I have had issues with the new management. If I ever meet you in person I will go into more detail.
The thick one has both sides smooth, the thin one has a smooth side and a very rough side, almost like a layer is missing, so I didn't really want to use it unless that is the way it is supposed to be.
One more question, should they be oiled, or just installed dry?
Thanks for the reply 22GT

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I've never seen any evidence of oil, but I don't see the harm.

Oh, and Fred's still there.

You should stop by there July 16. Free show, free hot dogs…

1 - 5 of 5 Posts