Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to drill out the pin to get the plastic e-brake handle off of the shaft so I can replace it. The metal is really tough- the cobalt bit doesn't seem to touch it! Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe there's a trick or something. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I think you have to use a small drift and hit the pin out with a hammer. I don't think you'll ever drill it out. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah, you're supposed to push it into the shaft. NPD has a vent window seal installer tool for $85 bucks that I remember reading in a Mustang magazine is supposed to do the job. PN 927-1. If you can weld, you could probably weld a pusher pin onto a cheap pair of pliers that would work too.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I drilled mine out, not easy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
After several attempts at drilling, pounding, etc, I took a friend's advice and used a C-clamp and a machine screw a little narrower than the pin to press the old pin out. Took a couple of tries (and a couple bent screws), but out it popped. Then used the clamp to press in the new pin.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, thanks for the help, I'm a brand new forum user & I'm impressed by the response. I hope you mean push it towards the inside of the shaft. That sounds much easier than drilling from the passengers side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts