Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully quick question on installing the steering column in my early 67 with the fixed column and solid steering shaft. It was completely disassembled when I bought it, so i'm not sure of the order of installation.

I have the firewall seal and firewall bracket, but confused about the firewall sound deadening pad. is the pad supposed to be cut out and removed around the steering column?? Or is the installation order like this: Firewall pad->Firewall bracket->Seal->Firewall

What about the grommet that goes on the steering shaft?

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
If the early '67 long shaft steering box is anything like the '65/'66 long shaft boxes you need to install the firewall pad before you install the outer tube on the steering column. There should be a cutout in the pad where the steering column passes through it and the cutout should be large enough to allow the rubber grommet/seal to be installed in the firewall without interference from the pad. There is no firewall bracket on the '65/'66 cars. The lower end of the outer tube fits snugly onto the steering box and then the tube is clamped to the bottom of the dash with a bracket.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
I went and looked at my car and I have that grommet installed under the repop firewall pad. I don't know if that is correct or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for checking. Hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm since i'm not sure either. Searching through google images and coming up empty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pic. Did you install the firewall pad/sound deadner? Trying to figure out if that column grommet goes on the outside of the firewall pad (closest to the driver).

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Mine are on the outside of the pad close to the driver, as original. The top edge of the carpet kind of hides it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts