Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short we want to buy back my wife's uncles former race car. Its not exactly a race car anymore but was race back in the 70's/80' in the SCCA A/S class. Its changed hands a few times and most of the racing equipment stripped off, but it still retains the same driveline.

I was able to track the car down and build a bit of a relationship with the current owner. He agreed to give us first right of refusal if he ever sold it. Timing is unfortunately bad right now, but he has decided to sell. He hasn't given me a price but he has indicated he thinks high teens. I was thinking $12000-$14,000 based on what it is. We really want to make a deal, but I wont over pay. Our intentions are to return it back to race spec and eventually compete in vintage races once in awhile. If it wasn't for the sentimental value I would find another 69/70 and build a track car. We really only need a solid body to start with.

Body is pretty solid, but definitely shows scars and bruises from its racing days. I think someone did a quick respray at some point, but its far from show quality. There's no interior other than a couple racing bucket seats.

I will attach some photos to give you an idea of condition. I know trying to give a value over the internet is subjective and will most likely yield #'s all over the place, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. Also the car is in western pa. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
It appears to still be a race car. Is the drive train race-prepped? I mean, is the engine, trans and differential all super-strong race stuff? That makes a big difference in my book.

If it's just a 351W with a cam, intake and headers, I would pay $12,784.67 :smile2: That's because the car has no interior and a rough roll bar.

Are you sure you want to race this car? No problem if you do, but a nicely restored '69 Mach 1 can easily fetch north of $45,000. That's why you don't see too many people racing these cars anymore.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He can think what he wants but I wont over pay. I can walkaway! New memories can be made with another car.

Its definitely not race ready, one of the previous owner stripped the racing suspension off because it sat too low and put basic stock components back on. Its needs a lot of work before it would ever be race ready.

As far as we know the racing drive line is still in it, although 30+ year old technology. I have no desire to restore just keep it the way it is and if all goes as planned get it back to racing standards.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
He can think what he wants but I wont over pay. I can walkaway! New memories can be made with another car.

Thanks for the responses.
Good mindset. My point was to go in with your top dollar with no negotiating and let him know that up front or he will try to milk you. If 14k is that number, I would proceed with it. I wouldn't offer 12k and then let him counter. Normally I would but in this case, I would hit him with my best price and be willing to let the chips fall where they may.

Cool car btw.

Allen

·
Registered
577 Posts
My quick advice would be to make sure it is indeed a Mach 1 before making an offer, because that will affect the value a lot. The dash in the picture is a standard dash, and it appears to not have the Mach 1 clock on the passenger side. While that doesn't mean it isn't a Mach 1, it isn't correct for a Mach 1 either, which a lot of times means the car started life as a standard fastback.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: The owner is the car is not sure what he wants to do at this point. He's worried he wont be able to find another 69 Mach 1 for under $20k that is in similar condition. I told him to take some time and do some research, they are definitely out there.

I will keep you posted of what transpires.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Update: The owner is the car is not sure what he wants to do at this point. He's worried he wont be able to find another 69 Mach 1 for under $20k that is in similar condition. I told him to take some time and do some research, they are definitely out there.

I will keep you posted of what transpires.
Mines not an everyday case, but I paid 10k for it...

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/1158644-1969-mach-1-a.html#post10176042

You can give him real world examples from the forum if it helps.

Allen

·
Registered
636 Posts
I agree with your instincts. Depending on the VIN engine code, my top bid would likely be around 15K assuming the body is straight. If the engine is an S-code or better, I'd look for a less desireable body to race with. He'll easily get offers in the high teens for a 390 or larger big block body.

As a price ceiling to consider, you can likely combine a junker coupe with a Dynacorn body for around 18K. You'd have to source some fastback parts, and include the very significant time and effort correcting the poor Dynacorn stampings and assembly (see J Person's very cool thread for details). But I feel more comfortable building a racer from a re-pop body than a real classic with a potential collector car value in the Year's Salary Range.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are correct, that's it. When he told me he was thinking of selling he said he might consider ebay. I was hoping to make a deal first, but i guess he really wants to test the waters and see what he can get for it. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

If it doesn't work out with this car than I may just build a car from a decent shell. In reality its probably a better option. Just wanted this car more so for the family ties.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately we are too far apart on a price. He is determined he can get $20K for the car or trade for an equal value muscle car. I think his expectations are unrealistic, but you never know someone with more money than brains may give him what he wants.

I found it interesting he ended the auction with a little over a day left. He said it was due to the overwhelming interest in the car, he couldn't keep up with the questions and requests for additional photos. Being that it was an auction with reserve, I don't understand why he didn't let it run its course if there was so much interest.

If I piece together everything he has told me, I think he wants to sell it because its not the car he truly wants, but he's not going to get another 69 Mach 1 that's solid, road worthy and complete with all interior for $15k.

I told him I was moving on, there are still plenty of 69/70 sportsroof cars still available that are priced appropriately.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I found it interesting he ended the auction with a little over a day left. He said it was due to the overwhelming interest in the car, he couldn't keep up with the questions and requests for additional photos. Being that it was an auction with reserve, I don't understand why he didn't let it run its course if there was so much interest.
All that interest and not 1 bid...I'm with you, not sure why he would end it unless he was convinced no one would bid on it.

Allen

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not to short him on the auction there were a few bids, I believe the highest bid was $13,700 and it was the same guy always with the high bid. So I assumed he had at least one person with some interest, but maybe it wasn't enough to let it run for the remaining day. I am not up on Ebay fees these days, but I assume if your car doesn't sell you only incur the listing fees.

I think there is interest in the car, but not for the price he wants. I made it clear where I stand on price. In my opinion he is caught up in the car auction hype and inflated prices.

I spoke with a nice gentlemen yesterday that is trying to sell a 70 Mach 1 that is complete, road worthy, and paint is probably 10 footer. He is trying to recoup what he as into the car, but is accepting offers. I did not make an offer as I did not see the car in person, but I think $17-18k would get it and thats probably a fair price. He thinks the Mach 1 market is soft at the moment.

As I said before I am in no rush and will see what comes along.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
If you find a car you want, paying the asking price will get you the car. Offering a low ball number generally will not. For every real buyer, there are dozens of "lookie-loos" ready and able to waste your time and his.
As a buyer, remember that "Cash talks and BS walks" If it looks like you and the seller are far apart but you are at the high end of your available cash, separate yourself from the crowd of lookie-loos by putting your highest and best offer (in cash) on the fender where he can see it and tell him if he picks this up, you have a deal. In this way the seller knows you are "real" and he has the difficult choice of picking up the money or letting you pick it up and walk away. Often a compelling dilemma that tests the seller's confidence in his own sense of the car's value. Convincing the seller you are prepared to walk is the point of this exercise. It has worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I couldn't agree more, cash in hand definitely talks. I did not get the chance to meet him in person with cash. He likes to text, so I gave him my best and final cash offer and told him I would be there the next morning with a flatbed, but he didn't accept.

I've never been one to low ball, typically making a fair offer first has been successful in most deals I have made.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
All that interest and not 1 bid...

Allen
Not to short him on the auction there were a few bids, I believe the highest bid was $13,700 and it was the same guy always with the high bid. So I assumed he had at least one person with some interest,
I stand corrected. When I looked it was closed but still showed at 0 bids...

Allen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts