Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm starting to dismantle the engine for removal. However I need to discharge the airconditioning. I'm really not sure if there is anything to discharge, The car has been sitting for 21 years. If anybody has a tip on discharging please help. I would imagine do it slow and use some type of rag or something between me and the discharge connection. Not sure if I remember correctly but doesnt it freeze at outside temps. Thats why I need the forums help. :: Mike

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Get to one of the service ports , there should be one on the compressor discharge hose or on the dryer . It looks like a tire valve (Schrader) . Take a small screwdriver and poke the valve down and see if it sprays and freon out . If nothing comes out you can assume it's empty and then loosen any hose . When you loosen the hose , wiggle it a little after turning the nut loose to make sure the system is empty . If your not removing the entire system , you can close the 2 valves ontop of the compressor if it is equipped with them and then leave the system charged .
I doubt very seriously that the system has any freon in it as the front seal on a compressor will leak if the A/C does not run for a week or 2 .

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just an FYI and not trying to be a freon cop or anything but I think discharging a system without using a recovery tank is illegal not to mention harmful to the atmosphere. If the car is drivable you might try taking it someplace to have it discharged. I took mine to a shop and they charged me $40 to take out the R12 and record the volume. I paid another $40 to have them re-install my R12 when I was ready a few months later.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with Lemondrop and I would be amazed if there were any freon in it.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. No freon. Open valve just a little and only some air escaped for 20-30 seconds :biggrin:.Cracked fittings loose no problems. Again Thanks Mike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts