Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a dome light on my '66 coupe. Since there wasn't one there - I wondered.....
Do you stretch the headliner completely over the dome light assembly, glue it, then cut a hole in it and screw on the dome light lens and bezel?
Or, do you cut a hole in the headliner for the light assembly and wire, screw it through the headliner and add the lens bezel before you glue the headliner?
Since there was not a dome light originally on these models, I have not had a "go by" for installation.

Thanks for any help.
Beri

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have not installed a dome light before, but have installed several headliners. All of the things which screw into the roof - such as sunvisor mounts, coathangers, seat belts, simply screw through the previously headliner with no cutting of the headliner prior to installation.

As for your quesiton about gluing, the only place the headliner is glued is along the front, rear and side edges (if you don't trust the windlace to hold the side edges into place.) I fail to see how any area surrounding a dome light (assuming the center of the roof) is an area in which the headliner encounters glue. Perhaps someone here has actually done this before and can educate us both.

I think you simply clip the positive wire into place along the metal roof, screw the ground wire of the lamp to one of the roof bracings, then intall the headliner over the top. Next, locate your mounting point for the lamp, through the headliner, cut a small "x" shape and feed the wires from under the headliner to the pigtail on the dome light, connect the two, then hold the dome light into the desired position an install with screws. What say the experts?

good luck.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
IIRC last months (Jan.) Mustang Monthly had an article on just this subject..installing a headliner and adding a dome light "while your at it"(for 65 & 66 ). If you need a copy. let me know and i can fax it to you.. ;)

Joe

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Put all the screws, visors, coat hooks, mirror, dome light, back in before installing the headliner. That way you don't have to probe for the holes. Feel where the screw head is, cut a small x with a razor blade and back the screw out. No glue except at windshield, rear window, and maybe bottom of sail panels if you don't want to leave it to the spikes. I have never used glue on the sides, the windlace should hold it fine. Pinch the windlace more closed before installing it to help it hold tighter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts