Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need some quick help that I have yet to find by searching the archives. I am learning about cars through repairing/restoring a 65' convertible, right now I can't get the thing to start. It happened after I removed and replaced the ignition coil. Right now, with the key turned to ACC or ON, the oil and alternator lights are strong, as are the interior lights. Trying to start I get a strong click once every five times, and then the lights are dimmed and I have to wait for a charge to build till I can get the same click. I have replaced the solenoid on recommendation and I had the battery checked. I know power is reaching at least the alternator. So, here is my problem, I can't gleam enough from the books I am learning from and I have this sinking feeling something very simple is escaping me. If I need to add any more information or if anyone can help I would be very appreciative. Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Asumming that your new selonoid works (I've bought 2 in the past from Kragen Auto that didn't), you're problem is almost certainly your starter, but you'll want to take a good hard look at your battery and starter cables.

Do the battery cables get hot when you turn the key?

Start by taking the starter up to your local parts store and have it load tested.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know this may sound basic, but it happened to my neighbor while working on his son's 65 coupe just the other day. He had just rebuilt the front suspension on the coupe (just to let you know this guy is no beginner) and reconnected the terminals to the battery. He turned the key on and the lights and all the accessories worked. He turned it to start and it made one click..... nothing else. Sound familiar? After replacing the solenoid twice and the starter twice, he was convinced it was the key switch. Out of frustration he called me over to voice his concerns. He got in the car and click.... nothing else. I noticed a small spark from the positive terminal. He said he had cleaned and tighten it several times, "That couldn't be it...... could it?" he said. I took it off to look at it and saw that it was broken on the bottom. You couldn't see it without turning it over. It seemed to be tight on the pole but just didn't have enough surface area to carry the current the starter needs to crank. He then walked into his garage, where his 65 GT Fastback sits up on stands and walks out with a brand new positive wire and terminal.

His son just turned 16 and his car is full of his dads parts for the Fastback. Great dad huh....

PRESTO..... it started right up. He proceeded to thank me and stroke my great electrical wit. Bottom line it is usually the simple thing that is wrong if it worked before you change something out as basic as a coil. This guy is a better mechanic than I am, but it sometimes takes a different set of eyes to catch the gremlin.

Clean all battery cables at the post and at the end connected to the starter and ground for good contact. If that doesn't fix it check the battery for dead cells (amps not volts). Any auto parts store can do the battery check.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
one way to eliminate most things other than starter is to use a set of jumper cables and connect neg battery terminal to block and pos battery terminal to starter cable on end of solenoid - the one that goes straight to starter. BE CAREFUL BECAUSE IT IS DIRECTLY WIRED NOW AND UNLESS STARTER IS SHOT ENGINE WILL TURN OVER. put transmission in neutral or park. if motor turns over starter is good. PM me with results and for further troubleshooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts