Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just dropping in a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with a Holley 600 carb.
I'm having some triuble figuering out how to hookup the trans kickdown rod.
Anyone have a pic of their setup they can post or send me?
Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
You may need to purchase a kickdown level from Holley. I remember when I had my FMX setup with a new Holley carb I had to purchase this part. It is about 5-10 dollars at any auto store. It is made specific for Ford Vehicles and bolts right up with instructions.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
On a 68, the kickdown works off the pedal assembly that goes thru the firewall...Cable operated.

With the accelerator pedal all the way on the floor, the carburetor should be wide open, and the kickdown actuated.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a Universal Holley 600 in my 65 w/C4 and the PO hooked up the kickdown off of the carb instead of the pedal. (like newer cars--or so I'm told). It's to the point where I am going to return the Edelbrock 1406 that I just bought because it doesn't have the carb kickdown... I would need to switch it back to stock at the pedal, and not just swap carbs...

So ultimately I'm sticking with another Holley 600!

I won't be able to take a pic of my setup until Wednesday, at which point I can e-mail you my pics... Let me know.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the universal Holley 600 also.
Art, so what your saying is that the kickdown is activated by the pedal rod being pushed all the way down and there's just a return spring or cable the pulls the kickdown rod back into place?
Thanks,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
In '65, all kickdowns were rod activated from the carb. The cable from the bottom of the accelarator arm didn't start until '66, and then only lasted until '68. The simplest solution to anyone with the "rod" setup is to switch to using a cable kit sold by Lokar, although, both Holley and Edelbrock sell adapters for there respective carbs.

I certainly wouldn't give up an Edelbrock carb's easy tuneability for the much more complex Holley, just for a kick down. There's tons of ways to hook up a kickdown.

I am a big fan of the Edelbrock carbs. They don't need half of the tinkering of a Holley, and when they do need tinkering, they are WAY easier to tune than Holleys.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yup, need to buy the piece. I tried to ghetto rig my stock kickdown, but it didn't work. Just cough up $5-10 and get the Holley piece.
-Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts