Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an MSD billet dist. on my '69 351W with the 6al box. I''m running the complete Edelbrock Performer RPM package, except with a Demon 750 carb. My peak h.p. is 425 h.p. @ 6000rpm, 409 lb-ft @ 4500rpm. I'm running 9.5:1 compression, aluminum heads, 3.80 rear gears, auto tranny. My question is where should the advance curve start and where should it end? Right now my idle is at 900 rpm and the dist. has got the original curve that came with it, advance starts at 1500 and ends at 3700. I'm running 12 deg static and 21 deg advance for a total of 33. What do you guys think? The motor runs good, throttle response it good and I'm turning a [email protected] at the track.
Pete

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The initial advance sounds fine. Now in theory, you want your advance to parallel the torque curve, but those numbers can vary depending on a bunch of factors that you already know. I like to set my engines (for street use) so full advance is in at around 2,500 or so rpm. Depending on your cylinder psi, your CR combined with the aluminum heads should easily take this much advance, but you might have to play a little with your fuel mixture to really see what she likes! I would personally prefer not to see full advance above 3,000, just because of the torque you need (or desire) at the lower rpm's to get the car moving.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My combo is almost identical to yours except the carb (I have the Edelbrock). I'm running 12 degrees initial with 36 degrees total, all in by 2250 RPM. I have the 2 lightest springs (silver, I think) and the smallest limiter bushing from my MSD kit installed to get this curve. I'm happy with the results so far but will do some dyno testing in a month or so to finish tuning the carb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts