Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have decided in these past few months that I no longer want a 351 windsor in my 73 conv. I have some money saved up and I would like to drop in a 429 now. What all do I need to make this conversion. What kind of frame mounts? Trans? driveshaft? Rear-end? I just need to know what I am getting into and I want to know what is the best setup so I dont waste anymore of my money and decide to change my mind again. Thanks again. Please help out this newbie.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
send a private post to TFOB on this forum..he's the man when it comes to dropping big blocks into 71-73 verts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If you're going to the trouble of swapping in a big block you obviously want more power. That being the case why settle for a 429? A 460 is a direct swap for any 429, plus it will be cheaper due to the 429's limited production. Then again why stop there? Go for a 514 stroker using a 460 block and Ford Racing crank kit. It will bolt in place of any 429, and for a stealthy look (if any big block can be stealth) top it off with oem painted valve covers and a stock air cleaner assembly with 429 stickers ::

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
A 429/460 is a direct bolt in. No problems doing it. The 71 - 73's were made for the Big block. But after 71 we all know what happened.
PM me and I will get you info. also if you do a search, this has been talked about a couple different times. so check it out and let me know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts