Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the right battery for my 68, The Autolite sta-ful. but when I drive the car for 20-30 minutes and open the hood there is acid on the top of the battery,looks like it is coming out of the vents in the caps. I didn't overfill it when I put the acid in, made sure of that. Could the electronic voltage reg. be allowing to much voltage for the old style battery? Other than the reg. it is bone stock and original. Even the alt. is the original. I am afraid this is going to splash on the paint and eat it off the car, so I need some help pretty fast.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
19,493 Posts
It sounds like it's overcharging. My last one did that and it damaged the paint under the hood when it vented. Get it out of there! That's why we cut the shell apart and put a nonacid wheelchair battery in there and resealed it. No more danger, and it works great.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,242 Posts
...and I'd check that alternator now, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,628 Posts
check terminal voltage across battery terminals - should be 13.5 to 15.3 VDC but i like to keep my upper value at 14.5 VDC. Shop Manual gives procedure to tweak VR if its working but too high or low. all you need is voltmeter.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top