Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'66 coupe 289 w/ T-5 transmission. No idea if driveshaft is original. The one I bought ended up being too big (Moog 230 on rockauto, which was listed for a '66). Here are the measurements of what I need, measured with digital calipers:
Axis A Bearing diameter 25.3mm
Axis B Bearing diameter 28.8mm
Axis A length 80mm
Axis A outside of ring-to-ring 59.9mm
Axis B length 82.1mm
Axis B outside of ring-to-ring 59.7mm

Any ideas on what I need to buy? There is no visible part # on it

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Measure in "standard" instead of "metric". Granted the T-5 uses metric bolts, but everything else from the slip yoke and behind is ancient American. Bring the old U-joint to your local parts store, tell them what it's from, and they should be able to match the part.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
This should help

Attachments

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Different parts for manual and automatic. Back in the '80's, because my 2+2 was a stick, that's the part I bought (multiple times). Eventually, I found out from the guy who brought the car into the state, that it was originally an automatic car. Two different size cups.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Switch the units on your caliper to standard - 1" = 25.4mm. Triple check your measurements against the mating yokes. Here's a great chart to drill down to the Moog number you need.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Take the shaft and u-joint to NAPA. Have them measure it and get you the right one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I know you say take it to Napa but it depends on the store you take it to. Some stores are better than others. I've been better off figuring it out myself now that we have internet resources

1 - 10 of 10 Posts