Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to finish the restoration on my 73 coupe. I'm missing the shift linkage that connects the shift lever to the transmission lever. The car has a 302 engine with the C4 automatic transmission. Does anybody have a picture of what this looks like? Preferably an installed picture would be very helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Looked in the Master Parts Catalog (illustrations portion) for you. HORRIBLE.
Wouldn't help even if you had a pretty good idea beforehand....
It was a generic diagram shot (67-72) for C6 transmissions and an even worse version with less detail for C4.

Sorry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked in the Master Parts Catalog (illustrations portion) for you. HORRIBLE.
Wouldn't help even if you had a pretty good idea beforehand....
It was a generic diagram shot (67-72) for C6 transmissions and an even worse version with less detail for C4.

Sorry.
Thanks for checking.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I don't know if 73 is different, but this is what my 67 looks like. Part number C7ZA-7326-B

·
Registered
35,826 Posts
I can understand why Ford would use a common image for all of them. Even side-by-side they tend to look alike. You could probably use a 67-68 repro rod, with a little tweaking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would the Lokar linkages help? Check out that site
I contacted Lokar and they don't carry it. I would have thought if anybody had something they would be it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a local used mustang supplier and he gave me 7-8 different ones to try out. I left them at the shop, hopefully one of them will fit. Here's the progress of the car with the engine finally installed.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Most Ford shift linkage rods have an identification number stamped into them. The 71-73 C-4 shift rod is D1ZA-7340-CA and is 18 1/2" long. There's a pic of it in the post below.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big help, thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts