Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put in a new temp gauge to replace a broken one, but the new gauge isnt working correctly. As the engine is warming up the needle barely moves, doesnt even reach the "c" on the gauge. But once the engine is warm and i turn the engine off and back on the gauge moves to about the center of the gauge, stops, then slowly moves back to its normal at rest position. I have a new voltage regulator and have check all the wiring and replaced the sending unit. When i first installed the gauge it acted as i described it down now after i turn the engine off and back on. I though there may have been a short causing the problem but cant find anything.

Im wondering if i got a defective gauge or something caused the gauge to go bad. any tips on how to test the wiring and the gauge to track down this problem?

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Sounds normal to me. What you are experiencing is heat soak. When the engine shuts off, there's no where else for the heat to go, but to the coolant, and your gauge is registering that. The new Constant Voltage Regulator has a small adjustment screw in the back that adjusts the voltage to the temp, oil, and fuel gauges. The only critical gauge of the three (for accuracy, that is!) is the fuel gauge, so I calibrated the fuel gauge, and let the others be. My temp is barely above the normal low mark. If your other gauge readings appear normal, I'd track down the official Ford temp sending unit: they seem to have better characteristics than what you find in the part stores.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/flamicon.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tell us what year car, what engine, what's the temperature rating stamped on your radiator thermostat and when was it last replaced? Did you replace the temperature gauge with a factory used, new or aftermarket gauge. If it's made by someone else, the sending unit probably won't match the gauge's calibration. We need more information. If you want accurate advise, you should describe your problem better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts