Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a new tire/wheel package today. I got a great deal from a fellow VMFer but I never asked what the backspacing or offset was though. Now the front tires are rubbing on the upper control arm. Are spacers safe to run up front? I was thinking 1/2" if needed. Might put the same on the rear to match.

Note: This picture is with the wheels off the ground, so I don't know if the problem will go away when I lower the car. The wheels are 15x7 and the tires are 235/60. Also the suspension mods are 620 1" springs and shelby drop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I believe some people grind the edge of the upper back a bit to help with some issues like this.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose I could give that a try. Anyone have a suggestion for buying a grinding disk on a Saturday and what type it should be? I have a grinder for my compressor that I've never used.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I use angle grinders for stuff like this. See if you can get some off with a hacksaw, and keep the heat down as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much clearance do you suppose is considered safe so as not to rub during driving?

I'll see what I can get off with the saw, but I'll grind it smooth as well.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Ranger,

Before you start hacking at it, just covering my *** here, do a little searching here to confirm why and how people did it. I remember people doing it, just not the specifics.

Best of luck.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
You will have more clearance once the car is on the ground. I've ground the tip off of the upper arm several times. An angle grinder with a flap wheel works great, leaves a nice smooth surface. 1/4" - 3/8" is all you need.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to Harbor Freight and used a coupon to get an angle grinder for $10 and an assorted pack of disks for another $10. Perfect for a single use job...probably will find more to do with it now.

As with other aftermarket control arms mine had a pretty good lip. I took them both down flush and have a good 1/4" of clearance. I'll measure for sure when I get it on the ground tomorrow.

Interesting discovery is that one control arm was rubbing higher on the tire than the other. I'm going to have to do some detailed measuring to figure out why. But it might explain why the car has a slight lean.

So all that, along with a new oil pan and transmission pan and I had a fairly productive car day.

I can't wait to get the car off the stands and properly appreciate my new tires/wheels. Thanks for all the help folks.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
is this a common issue on these cars when running a 15X7 and a 235/60? i have the stock UCA's and had considered the mentioned tire size but i'm concerned about having to grind.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do a forum search using the google option. I found several other threads like mine that mentioned tire size, but I didn't pay attention to the tire size. That might give you an idea as to what sizes have the potential to rub. I had 225/50 on before this swap and didn't have an issue. Maybe you should go with 225 up front to be safe. You could easily run a 245 out back.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts