Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my TCI torque converter from Jeg's today. I bought a 24 spline converter with a stall speed of 1000 RPM. The input shaft on my tranny is 24 spline so I know it is the right converter (even though the catalog said it is for '66 and later). I tried installing it today but it wont "press" onto the tranny completely. I can only get it installed to where it sticks out about 1/2" past the bellhousing. I called the tranny shop and he said to just keep turning and pressing but nothing seems to work. Am I doing something wrong?

BTW- the tranny is in the car and the engine isnt. I checked the input shaft for burrs, etc. and it is clean.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
THE LATER C4'S HAVE 26 SPLINES, THE EARLER ONES HAVE THE 24 SPLINE..MAKE SURE OF WHICH YOU NEED!!

I first slide the input shaft out of the tranny and try to fit it into the converter (PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH END WAS INTO THE TRANNY!!! THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN SPLINE LENGTH!!)....

I can tell if it engages because as I turn the shaft, a LOT more inertia is evident

I reinstall the input shaft into the tranny, and do what the shop told you, spinning the converter and putting slight pressure on its hub

WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT TRY TO BULLDOG IT!!! If the converter doesnt end up probably 13/16" behind the bellhousing edge, DONT try to bolt the engine and tranny together

In some VERY rare instances, the converter splines can be machined for tight clearances to prevent breakage.....keep working with it by hand......no point in wasting a converter!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
CRIS Pull the input shaft out of the tranny and put it into the converter checking to see if the splines slide in if it dosent you have the wrong converter. if it dose take the shaft out of the converter and put it back into the tranny so that only the splines are sticking out. and work the converter around and it should pop in. The face of the converter should be recessed into the bellhousing about 3/4 to 1 inch. And if that engine was originally bolted to a std trans make shure you remove the pilot bearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts