Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so yesterday taking my car to get my exhaust welded up my c4 trans decides it’s not going to go into reverse anymore. Drive works fine. Did a little research from what I found the rear servo ring is split causing I guess no pressure? Little back history trans is an original rebuilt about 9 years ago. Shift kit was installed and a 2200-2600 stall converter was also. My problem is do I jerk around with this trans or buy a new race trans that’s warrantied and is built for the engine that’s in the car. If I do replace it what would you recommend for high performance applications say 4-600hp, plan is to install a Paxton this winter. Also the stall converter what should I match my 3.55 gears with. I have no clue about what works I just know enough to get in trouble?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes that’s a set back. I spoke to JEGS this morning they recommended Performance Automatics c4 runs 1600 plus frieght, I have to call them back later with cam specs to see if torque converter is sized right.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Why not just repair the servo?
You can probably do it yourself without dropping the transmission.
Or drop the transmission, put in a TCI breakaway torque converter, repair the servo(s) with new o-rings and billet aluminum covers, then put the trans back in.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Looks like the TC you already have is in the same range as the Breakaway. So you probably won’t need a different TC.
A C4 is great for drag racing. The 4r70w is good for cruising on the street.
If you don’t need overdrive, stick with the C4

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not just repair the servo?
You can probably do it yourself without dropping the transmission.
Or drop the transmission, put in a TCI breakaway torque converter, repair the servo(s) with new o-rings and billet aluminum covers, then put the trans back in.
Yea I’m pretty sure it’s a tci torque converter, is there any info on changing that servo I haven’t found much except for what symptoms were.

·
Registered
35,151 Posts
In any case, if you decide to do something with the C4 then a teardown is in order. You can hope for something simple, but I've seen my share of bad reverse drums...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I ordered the PA super Streeter and going to install that once it comes in. Build time is 7-10 days plus shipping. I guess we’ll see how it turns out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts