Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about finished restoring my 64 1/2 vert - but noticed that I am missing strip of metal that mounts to the rear seat back so that the vert boot can be held down. Right now, it just flaps in the breeze and I am afraid that it will just come unsnapped and fly away. Any ideas of what other people use if the original strip is not available.

Bob

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Are you talking about the piece of chrome that goes along the body just behind the convertible top that the boot snaps to (this chrome is very visible when the top is up), or just the snaps that go over the screws? There is no strip that goes along the seat back.

If you are missing the chrome the only thing to do it replace it with a repro. If you are missing the snaps, these can be bought separately (and cheaply less than 25 cents each)

The boot should look like this- you can see where the snaps go back behind the seat and folded down top:
http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_8a353afc1792cd757bccfa8fb3567e02/i-9_B.JPG

·
6,855 Posts
No. I think he's talking about the channel that the strip on the front pushes down into.

First off...when I first got my car I didn't understand the channel...so I didn't use it...and my boot never came off.

Second...the boot is available and isn't tremendously expensive.

Third...take a look at someone elses vert. SURELY it wouldn't be hard to fabricate a substitute channel.

Phil

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Don't know what year it started, but my car has a thin metal channel attached to the seat back that part of the boot cover slides into. A royal pain in the booty. This may be the strip you are thinking of. I have been toying with the idea of replacing this with wide velcro. It would be easier to put on and would give a little room for adjustment. My boot cover is very tight. In your case, I think I would double check on which is right for your car, the channel or snaps.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You should have that part...I just called NPD (national parts depot).. they don't stock it and don't know if other's do.. if you're asking for the part it is not chrome. It is stainless steel. I would check local Mustang junk yards. Someone may be able to fabricate one if you had an example to go by.

G

·
0 Posts
I recently sold a mint original for $75 shipped. I seriously doubt you could find someone to fabricate this part for that much.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I beleive you are talking about the thin channel which is at the top of the backseat. A hard rubber- like attachment on the boot slides into this channel. I don't know where you can get the seat channel. But no matter, the boot never stays in the channel anyway. At least not on my 65.
I like the velcro idea and think I will try it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
When I was ordering my boot cover, I was not sure if I would need a new channel or not, so I looked around. The ones I found were running $100 a piece, and not perfect condition either. Like was said prev, check local junk yards. If your not interested in absolute original, consider the velcro, or even snaps. I've even thought of ways to use a heavy zipper, like the window uses. Just been too busy to work something out.

If your other mounting points are secure, you may not have a problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have the same problem when I restored my 65 convertible. I have some good news. I know 64.5; 65; 66 are the same and I have been told up to 69 are the same. So is the comet and falcon convertible. It is a stanless steel part. Therefore if there is a car grave yard with any of the above the part is like new. There are about 6 - 8 counter sunk screws that it attaches to on the back seat body frame. hope that helps.
I got mine out of a 66 which was completely rusted out and that part was like new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just checked through my pile of chrome pieces for my '66 basketcase and I found the part. It looks like it is attached with 11 screws and I think that the well liner is screwed under it. I could be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts