Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife of a friend of mine that died a few weeks ago, is selling a few things of his that she no longer needs, and is basically in her way.

The truck is a 1980 or 81 F150 SuperCab "Ranger Lariat". It has an emblem below that, which states (Trailer Special) The truck is in fair shape, it has the split front seat with center armrest/cupholder. The front seat needs reapostery. I know it has power brakes, power steering, AC. Not certain on other options or what works or not, also not certain on what motor or Tranny it has. It apparently runs and drives good from what I gathered. It might need some front end work, or maybe just a real good alignment. The body is in excellent shape, with exception of the faded paint (a real good rubbing out will probably take care of that).

It has a Cabover Camper on it made by "6-Pack". Again the exterior of the camper looks in fair to good shape, but not certain on the inside of it. She did mention that the hydraulic jacks on the side don't work. I will be getting a closer look at it when she gets back from her sisters next week.

My Questions are;

What does the Lariat and Trailer Special mean? More options? beefier suspension?

What weight class is the F150? I've noticed F100's, F150's, F250's, F350's

What might be a fair price for this?

Now here's my big dilemma!

Since I don't need two trucks I would be selling my 1983 Chevy C10 "Scottsdale" truck to buy this. I know on name sake alone I should buy the Ford.

But I recently rebuilt my trucks 350 4bbl. motor (less than 900) miles on it. And rebuilt the 700R4(automatic overdrive) less than 200 miles ago. My truck is a single cab, with power steering, power brakes, tilt, cruise, AC, duel tanks, toolbox, long bed.

I don't drive the truck much, except as a back up vehicle to my work van when it's down for repairs, or when I go camping. I would say I average 200 miles a month if that. Since the Ford looks like it might need some over due maintenance, and is a little older than mine and no telling how many miles are on it, I'm questioning if it's worth making the switch.

I would prefer to have the Ford since it is a SuperCab and has the Camper and of course, because it's a Ford, but I don't know anything about the Ford trucks or this model. Would it be a fair trade off to buy the Ford and sell the Chevy?

Need some input on this one to help me make up my mind.

Doug

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>

[color:blue]A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything... hehe</font color=blue>

·
Registered
35,394 Posts
The XLT Lariat was one of the top-of-the-line option packages and typically included power accessories such as tilt, cruise, windows and locks, woodgrain dash trim, split buckets with console, cargo light, intermittant wipers, am/fm probably cassette too, cloth headliner and seat and carpet. I wouldn't be surprised to find a tach and dual fuel tanks too. The trailer special would probably include a receiver hitch, heavier rear springs and/or teeter spring, larger tires and brakes, etc. Most likely the engine is either a 351M or 400M with a C6 trans if auto. Sounds like a nice truck. The F150 was a 1/2 ton, F250 a 3/4 ton, F350 a 1 ton, etc.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

G

·
0 Posts
To answer a few of your questions. The Lariat is the luxury trim option for a Ford pu. Its what the Grande is to a 69 Mustang. It is the top of the line model. The trailor towing added a bigger rad, alt, trany cooler, maybe different rear end ratios. It should have front and back sway bars. It may also have stiffer rear springs or even over loads.
The weight class is still only going to be the 6500gvw rating. Remember it's still only a half ton. F100/150s are basicly the same thing, the 150 was mainly for emission ratings.
If its not to many miles or rusty, it would range from $1700. to $3500.oo .
If you can afford to buy the Ford and keep the Chev around, drive the Ford and see how the truck is. If it's junk then decide, or if it needs lots of work.

Shouldn't this be on a Ford post else where though??

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply, and yes this should probably be posted somewhere else. But since I've been on this forum for a couple of years now, I've learned to trust a lot of the opinions that are given out here. I don't mean any dis-respect to anyone here, and if it bothers to many people I can and will delete the post.

If you or anyone else knows of a good Ford truck forum that I can visit, and not have to listen to people slamming one another for any given reason than I would be more than greatful for the link.

My Round up

1966 Mustang coupe 289cid
1966 Thunderbird Convertible 428cid
1966 Thunderbird Landua 428cid
1972 Ranchero 302cid
1974 Gran Torino Sport 302cid
1968 International Scout 4x2 Removable Tops
1968 International Scout 4x4 Removable Top
1969 International Scout 4x4 Removable Top
1970 International Scout 4x4 Removable Top
1955 Nash Metropolitan Convertible
1959 Nash Metropolitan Hard top (soon to be modified to a Ford V-8)
1983 Chevy C10 Scottsdale Pickup 350cid
1994 Chevy Astro EXT Van 4.3 H.O.
(Wifes) 2001 Ford Schoolbus

Pending
1994 Mustang GT Convertible
1980 F150 Lariat Pick up

Doug

[color:blue]A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything... hehe</font color=blue>

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You oughta know better than that...hehehe

Sounds like a good light duty camper truck...those sixpacks were pretty light IIRC, not like my Caribou tank..*G*

144" WB is good for towing, although parking can be a pain...no turning radius on those SC Fords...

What engine? 5.8L?

Without seeing it (I could ya know *G*), I'd offer em 2K...with the camper...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
As much as I like Fords, I think your best bet is to keep the Chevy based on the fact that this truck may get 12mpg tops while you're probably knocking down 18-20 with the Chevy. You know what kind of shape the Chevy is in and the Ford may need a bunch of work.

Oh hell, go ahead and get it!

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Pat, actually it's no longer than my chevy since it's a shortbed/supercab, and my chevy is a longbed/single cab. And the Chevy can't turn worth a crap! So I guess their just about equal there.

I'll know more about it next week, I hope....

Doug

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
You don't say what sized motor this thing has in it. I shopped for an F150 new around this time and it was a special order to get a V8 delivered. We were told that Ford was under some sort of minimum average mileage deal from the government and only something like 1 out of 100 trucks were made except with v6's. If it's an 8 with a towing package it's a nice and heavier service vehicle for it's day.

Doesn't mean that it's real special but our 150 was a nice truck and with the 8 pulled real well (had a horse trailer at the time.)

I'l like to have mine back but now I only need a 6.

Good luck.

J. Boggs

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"you're probably knocking down 18-20 with the Chevy"

*LOL* I wish I was, funny thing was... I had it built for economy and I'm lucky to get 12mpg around town. The carb could use a rebuild, so I'm sure that's where I'm loosing my mpg, at least I hope anyway! Even though the drivetrain is new on the Chevy, it actually has 344,000 miles on the truck. And even with that many miles, it still looks like it might be in better shape than the Ford?

I'll just have to wait until next week when I can take a closer look at the Ford.

Just wanted to see if you all thought it would be a waste of my time in doing so.

Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts