Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I just installed a 9" rear from a 67 in place of the old 8" in my 69 coupe. Everything fit up fine, except the U-Joint. It seems like the old U-Joint is too small for the new yoke on the rear end. If anyone else has run into this problem when doing a swap, please help me out. all information is appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
What is that yoke trunnion diameter, 1.062"??

You'll likely just need an adapter u-joint...

In the past, I recall using the yoke off my 8" on a 9" I put in my old street racer, but that required a new crush sleeve (I was changing gears anyway)....
'Course it's been over 20 years and my brain's a bit fuzzy on the details...*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speaking of yokes, I was playing around with some yesterday-actually cleaning them up, I discovered that the 8" yoke would not fit the 9" pinions I had-smaller diameter splines than the 9" yokes.Back to the driveshaft issue, the 9" rear will most likely require a shorter one I believe.There are a few different length yokes available, I have started cleaning up some for my page, haven't measured any for cap or u joint size yet.Somone here a while back I believe was talking about this, believe they took two ujoints and made one-or at lest used the caps from one on another.Might try the search feature for this topic.Sorry can't help much more than that.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed

Descendent of Francois Seguin dit Laderoute,
Soldier Regiment d' Carignan, New France 1665-1668

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Yup...OF brain fart..

The 9" yoke has a spline diameter of about 1.210" vs. the 1.095" or so for the 8" yoke...

I likely have what the poster needs...the 9" short yoke with the 1.062" diameter u-joint bore...all my other 9" yokes are 1.125" prox...

Too bad I installed a pinion brake disc on it...*G*

That's the yoke style I use in the race car with standard u-joints...no problems yet...

BTW, the pinion yoke retainer nut is the same on both 8" and 9"...go figure *G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a 69 grande that I put a nine in
I have a buddy at currie and he built it up so I would not have to shorten my driveshaft or change u joints if you need more info e-mail me at [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts