Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a pair of really cheap slicks ($10 for the pair) of 23.5x10.5 240 compound 17" slicks. These would be just shorter than the tires I have on the car now (by about 1 inch). I would be only using these at the track and just every once in a while. I can see no more than 6 runs a year on them. I originally was looking at 15 or 16 inch sizes, but these came across my lap and if I can save $100 for something that is not exactly what I was looking for its worth it. What are the advantages and disadvantages to running a bigger rim like this??

Ok, mine are about 24.5" tall and about 9.5 inches wide. According to an online tire fit calculator they are 25.6 tall. The 23.5/10.5 would probably fit. I dont' know about the width of the 25/13s. What are the advatages or disadvatages of going with a 16 inch rim over say a 14 or 15 inch rim? I intend on using this at the dragstrip only and not very often even then. What is the difference in the tire compounds?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
That size doesn't sound familiar....possibly asphalt track oval tires?

I know some guys who've run toilet bowl tires at the strip but can't recall how well they worked out.

Disadvantage to larger rim is less sidewall to give and flex and allow the chassis to plant the tires. Take a look at the slicks on the race car for a comparison. The outside diameter of the tire is over 31" on a 15" rim. This, combined with a flexible sidewall, allows the tire to "wrinkle" on the starting line, allowing the rim to rotate and the chassis to plant the tires before the car actually moves. That's why I've got the tires screwed to the rims.

If you have rims already to try these tires out, for the price I think it would be worth the mounting and balancing costs. If you would have to buy rims, even cheap ones, I'd pass.....

As far as fit, depends on wheel backspace and car attitude and year of car. Only way to know for sure is to try them on *G*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they are road racing tires. I don't know. If I can find some cheap rims and get this done for $50 it will be considerably better than $150x2 tires/$35x2 rims for a total of nearly $400 by the time I am done. They are local so I would not even be paying shipping on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts