Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!

Well, the car is scheduled to go in for the final body work, paint,
weatherstripping, and a new top beginning on thursday.

They asked me to see if I could find out if anyone has exact measurements for
some of the emblems...

Most notably:

The 260 V8 emblem
The running horse emblems on each fender
The 64.5 "short" MUSTANG lettering on each fender

We are looking for hole size, and location off of some known point.

Thanks!

-Zim

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Zim,
when i did mine, i ordered all the emblems first. i've got an original fender that has all the emblem holes in it, so i made a template from that to get a rough placement of the emblems on the fender. i used the body lines on the fender for refrence points. once i got all of the holes close, i took the emblems and set them on the fender. if it apeared that all of the holes were in the right spot and the emblems were straight, i center punched and drilled. most of them were a slight bit off, however. in that case, i took white-out and put it on the end of the emblem pins. i than lined one pin up with one of the marks i had made from the template and carefully laied the emblem down untill all of the pins had made a mark on the fender. you have to be carefull to keep the emblem straight. i centerpunched the holes and drilled them one at a time, checking to make sure that all of the marks were infact in the right place. I admit, i goofed up a few of them and had to enlarge the hole to make the emblem fit right. in these cases i used some jb weld to fill in the opening. i suppose you could weld them too.
the hardest emblems to mark right are the running horse emblems because they are curved... so you have to be very carefull when marking them that you get the pins spaced right, and dont just rock the emblem back and forth. you'll see what i am talking about when you do it. If you need to make a patern or anything, feal free to stop over and use my fenders... i don't have any of the emblems in yet. i've got all the later style emblems though, so i don't know what matches up.

oh yeah, and if your lazy, npd sells a full patern kit for like $15.

- Jason

·
Registered
742 Posts
They make a template for Gt stripes and emblems for about $12 at NPD...This would help you with the V8 260/289 only.

Do you have a mustang shop/dismantler or another VMFer in your area with the emblems off so you could make a template?

When I was out measuring cars I noticed several cars with emblems with slightly different measurements...My Sons 66 car V8 emblem was off by a quarter inch while checking each side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts