Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the worst possible time finding a lower radiator hose that fits my needs. I have an aftermarket griffin aluminum radiator with a 1 3/4" water port on the drivers side. When installed, the water port points slightly upward. The water pump opening is also 1 3/4" (351W). The routing of the hose requires a steep bend from the radiator under the power steering pump belt and straight up into the water pump. Thus far, I have hacked up three twenty dollar radiator hoses in the hopes of mending two hoses together. I even went as far to duct tape pieces of hose together into the exact shape I need for my application. I have been unable to find any hose that comes remotely close to accomplishing this shape. I have also attempted the flexible radiator hose route, but the radius of the bend coming off of the radiator is such that it causes the hose to crimp. I'm desperate for a solution to this problem as I can't afford any more incorrect radiator hoses, and I head back to school in two weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeff

·
Registered
112 Posts
Might try a new neck in the radiator.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just spent another 1.5 hrs perusing the radiator hose shelves behind the parts counter. I found something that might work. I located a 21" flex hose with a 90 degree bend on one end. Unfortunately, it was only 1" in diameter. Can anyone tell me if they make these in 1 3/4" diameter? If so, then I may have finally found a solution.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Did you consider the aftermarket aluminum or Stainless Steel hoses? From what I have been able to gather so far, they are fairly flexible, stay in place and you can cut them to length. I'd be interested in learning what you ultimately do, since I'll probably be heading down the same path this winter.

Thx,

Lou

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I found it easiest to pay a shop $40 to remove the lower neck and reweld straight out . Found a hose much easier . This was on my 66 with a 24" wide rad core .

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Forgot , if you do this let me know and I will dig up the part # I used .

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips guys. I am going to continue to pursue my quest for the ultimate flex hose. Should I fail in this quest, however, I intend to have the neck rewelded and possibly even relocated. I'll keep everyone apprised of my progress.

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
in case you got the "two-hoses-together" to work...there is a union part that can allow you to use that permanently.

If you cut the 2 hoses, and use duct tape to get the angles right, mark the alignment, take it apart, stick in the union, add clamps and your ready to go. I saw the union at Pep Boys...it was in an emergency road kit (had a small one for heater hose too)...

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts