Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing from Tri-Y's to Hi-Po manifolds because of the addition of power steering (See my previous post here
) and need new h-pipe.

All but one shop I've called wants $200+ just for the H-pipe and another $250+ for the rest of the system. The one shop that did my original system for $300 complete is across town and I don't want to drive that far with open manifolds or spend the $100 plus to be towed or to rent a truck and trailer.

Since I'm also in a bit of a time crunch I ordered a 2" Hi-Po H-pipe from Texas Mustang and should get it today. I had originally planned to install the H-pipe myself, drive to the exhaust shop and have them modify my intermediate pipe to mate to the new H-pipe keeping the rest of my old system. But, many of you expressed concern about going from a 2" H-pipe to a 2.25" intermediate pipe, muffler and tail pipe, to a 1 5/8" GT trumpet. I agree with your concern, but this may be the cheapest easiest way to go, at least temporarily.

Question 1: I know mating the 2" Hi-Po H-pipe to the existing 2.25" system isn't optimal, but would you consider it at least temporarily?

Question 2: Do you see a performance problem with the stock 2" Hi-Po dual exhaust system with resonators or would it be sufficiant or even best for my current setup? (289, Edelbrock Intake, Holley 600 soon going to 4100, C4, 3.55:1 open diff.)

Question 3: What kind of sound can I expect from the a 2" HiPo dual exhaust system? My current system is pretty quiet.

Question 4: Does anyone have any recommendations on a local muffler shop? (North Dallas, Plano, Richarson, Garland area.)

As always, thanks VMF.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The best performance exhaust guys I have found are Pronto Muffler on US75 at 18th in Plano (east side of Central Expwy).

Randy

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
On Question 1: I know mating the 2" Hi-Po H-pipe to the existing 2.25" system isn't optimal, but would you consider it at least temporarily? Sure for a temporay solution. A lot of auto parts stores also have flex hose for transition areas. They are ment to be temporary.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
One idea may be to upgrade to AAA Platnum road service. You get 100 miles free towing.

2" pipes will make thinks pretty quiet. They should perform okay, especially with Hipo manifolds.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Just make sure you deburr the port areas of the Hipo manifolds....
and smooth them out for better flow.

Make sure the H pipe is FLANGED for ease of working on yer tranny and future exhaust mods.....

You dont need that flex stuff.....just get smooth reducers for pipe diameter.

2 inch pipe will be quiet but will be throaty and snappy when revved.... it should be fine.....low end torque will be pretty darn good. stab the pedal and you'l see what i mean.

try not to fluctuate more than that 1/4 of an inch thru your whole exhaust....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts