Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is on the rack and the Patriot Tri-Y's will not fit on the drivers side because it is a 4-speed car. My bad for trying to go cheap. Patriot just confirmed it will not work. What will fit my 302 4speed without any hassle? I did a quick search and did not find a clear cut answer. I would rather have a good quality no rust solution but know that may not be possible on short notice. I need to get them today for delivery to my installer tomorrow so my car can get finished by the weekend if possible. By the way, I will have a good set of ceramic coated Tri-Y's available for an automatic real soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for posting this and unfortunately being a test case on these headers. My engine/trans is the same set up. I've asked the question here before but no one had tried the Patriot headers. When you find some that work, please post again. Thus far I've come to the conclusion that the only sure way I'll find what won't fit is to buy a set of headers

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I was the test case because the company I bought them from said they would fit a 4 speed. Obviously they were wrong. Auto is no problem. I will post what will work once I figure that out.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How about an alternative approach? Convert to hydraulic clutch linkage instead of changing your headers. With the hydraulic lines, you should be able to run any header you want and never worry about the mechanical linkage getting in the way. I assume that a cable clutch would be similar but I'm not sure about a kit for the 4 speed trans. There are proven kits for the 5 speed conversion. Hope this helps and good luck :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Are those tri-y's the ones that are bigger diameter than the originals? I was thinking about getting a set of those for mine, but they're really expensive, like, 900 dollars expensive.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JMC makes a hydraulic clutch kit for toploaders
Thanks for the info I will look into that as an option.

Are those tri-y's the ones that are bigger diameter than the originals? I was thinking about getting a set of those for mine, but they're really expensive, like, 900 dollars expensive.
Nope, these are the cheapie cermaic coated that run about $249 or so. I bought them way back in January before I knew better. Now, just trying to figure out how to make them work or get better more expensive ones that I know will work. I perfer Tyi-Y's because they were what Shelbys had. Obviiously, not all Tri-Y's are the same.

·
Registered
412 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts