1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping a '73 302 into a '65 289 mustang, three issues
1)water pump outlet in the wrong direction
2)I think I need a early style timing cover to correct this
3)Can I swap a 289 harmonic balance on a 302 to keep original pullys?
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bob, You could have your radiator hose inlets changed to opposite sides---you could use a 70 or newer radiator---or what i did, was to use 1.5" copper tubing, less then a foot long and a couple of pieces of curved hose to make the lower connection from the newer style pump to the stock radiator inlet. good luck, Lanny :: :: ::

·
Registered
670 Posts
Don't rig it,do it right.The other individual who responded is not good at what he does.I am.Either change your timing cover to an early model,then you can use your 3 hole harmonic balancer and all your old pullies or if pullies aren't a problem then any good rad. shop can change your water neck.Make the whole deal look right and it will act right.RIG it and sooner or later it will fail.SCOTT 936-756-2535

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had these issues not long ago and the solutions i found were to get a water pump for a 69 or older engine (has the outlet on the other side), shouldnt have to change the timing cover, and as for the balancer, your engine should be the 28 oz balancer so you should be able to use this on your 73. Then you c an use all your old pulleys.

Ryan

·
Registered
67 Posts
SFV, I take offence to what you said, I've been building street rods & customs since '67. I don't RIG anything, I 'custom fabricate' and i don't have a problem making things last cause i take pride in what i do. Mine was just some suggestions, since the 302 isn't original anyway, as to get him on the road with the least amount of work and if you take care in how you do it ,you can make it last as long as anything. Lanny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts