Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will someone help me determine the offset for my stock 8in rear end. My choices are listed below and is needed for the rear disk brake kit. I will be going with upgraded aftermarket rims, 16in possibly 17in. The car will be used for weekend and street driving.

2.36, 2.66, 2.50

Thanks,
Rus

·
Registered
661 Posts
What Jim is saying is that offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim to the wheel mounting surface.

Most people discuss wheels in terms of backspacing which is the distance from the edge of the inboard flange to the mounting surface.

If you don't know the rim width then you cannot convert from backspacing to offset. Another way to look at it is that offset equals the backspacing minus half the rim width. How's that for complicating a simple explanation?

If I remember correctly, the max. backspacing you can fit is about 3.75 inches for a stock 66 setup. This should be enough info for you to calculate what size offset you will need for your wheels. Another thing to keep in mind. If you choose narrow wheels, you may not want to go with the max backspacing because the wheels will appear to be recessed in the wheel well. Dodgestang has some good info in his wheel chart. You may want to take a look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts