Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of taking a 1000 mile round-trip in the vert. Mostly highway. Has a C4 with a 3:55 rear. At 65 MPH, the tach is at 3200. Motor is rebuilt, new heads, cam, etc.
Would such an extended trip be bad for the motor, like, would it commit suicide?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just purchased and drove a 67 gta from St Louis to Pensacola, FL similar setup. Very noisy. would estimate rpms in the 3000-3200 range at 55 -60 mph. I did not experiment with higher speeds since the car was new to me. I don't know if I would intentionally take the car on a journey that long again. It saved me about $800.00 in shipping cost so it was worth the one time event... Good luck.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
as long as the engine is in good running order it shouldnt be a problem at all .

·
Registered
823 Posts
These cars were made to cruise the American highways, only now they turn more heads!

The only draw back to extended road time is cleaning up afterwards. ::

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
I took my 65 to the 30th anniversary show in Charlotte in 1994. It was about 800 miles one way.

Never again will I drive that far. Too noisy, radio is too poor. Had serious fatigue by the end of each day.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I'm considering the AOD conversion. But it won't work with my Tri-Ys. Which is not such a big deal, but I just put them this summer. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I drove mine like heck for 15+ years with that setup. Trips included one from Michigan to California (2,500 miles) and Salinas to Las Vegas during 114 degree temps. There were times that the engine was turning 3,800 RPMs for extended periods of time.

If the engine is in decent shape it should be fine.

Would I trade my T-5z for a C4 or AOD? No freaking way.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My 69 vert has that setup. I drove it from the Bay Area to Redding and back (about 450 miles) and to L.A. and back (around 800 miles) taching 3400 - 3800 rpm the whole way. And that was just in April. Got a good Kenwood radio and CD changer, tri Y's and a pair of turbo mufflers. Could almost talk to SWMBO over the racket. :) If the engine is healthy there shouldn't be any problem. I drove the car all day and didn't experience any fatigue but, then, I am not really fussy about creature comfort either and I like to drive. Go for it!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The noise does get old after a while, but your engine should hold up if it is healthy. I run between 3400 (60MPH) and 4000RPM (70MPH) on my 302 with no issues but noise. The car has 410K on it (unknown on the 1970 302, but it has been in the car around 130K ago.

One word of advice: Earplugs. Or else, tinitus (ear ringing) :eek:
Daniel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts