Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the available parts out there adequate?

Whose parts work better?

I want to rebuild my control valve and piston, but if the parts are junk and the success rate low I will just replace them.

Thanks,
Sluggo

·
Registered
651 Posts
I tried to rebuild mine and it is a pain in the _ss.
There is a guy in Ohio who completly rebuilt mine. He was awesome. Look in the Hemmings book under mustang parts. He was fast and reasonable.

Tom

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have had mine shipped in Toronto somewhere, he rebuided it all with new everything....It is a real PITA if you're going to be doing it yourself..not worth it i think...Just my .02cent

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I didn't find the rebuild too bad. I purchased the $55 kit and went at it. It took a little adjustment to get everything working well with no leaks but no complaints now. The most difficult part for me was getting the control valve separated from the rest of the steering components. I would say you could rebuild it in a Saturday if you are patient.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
WhiteLightning66 said:
I didn't find the rebuild too bad. I purchased the $55 kit and went at it. It took a little adjustment to get everything working well with no leaks but no complaints now. The most difficult part for me was getting the control valve separated from the rest of the steering components. I would say you could rebuild it in a Saturday if you are patient.
I agree - I rebuilt mine 7 years ago. The adjustment after it's in the car is the biggest pain.

·
Registered
447 Posts
O'Reilly auto parts can order these for you. make sure you check the size of the lines. IIRC they use 3/16 or 1/4 on the pressure side. About 100.00 and they have warrenty.(control valve). Your piston should be ok. I don't see these go bad very often.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Big_B said:
Send them to Randy and replace your hoses.
+1. Do it this way and you KNOW that it will be done right. He's really not that expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts